 Star Wars / 1214
Re: An Episode I Set Finally Revealed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:18:06 GMT

My hypothesis on this, is that these pieces are in fact blue, and the use of
the 2 1X3 slopes instead of a 2X3 slope is probably to enable them to keep up
the high level of alternate model possibilities that we've seen in other Star
Wars sets.

I love the piece selection in this view, lots of slope pieces in 3 colors, and
a few more of those 2x4 slopes we saw in the TIE Fighter.  Also lots of basic
grey and dark grey in the ocean floor thing.  I see very few custom pieces
overall, only a few like the cockpit bubbles and the folding panels with new
colors/patterns. (I'm certain from this picture that the cockpit bubbles came
out of the same mold as the TIE windows.)  I've been collecting more Technical
than other themes lately so I'm not sure, but is the hair on the furthest
right minifig new?

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:

After looking at this picture I believe that these may very well be purple
bricks and here is why...

If you look at the 2x3 slopes in front of the two rear cockpits it appears
that it is really 2 1x3 slopes next to eact other instead of 1 2x3 slope (this
is clearer on the far cockpit but evident on both).  I don't think TLG would • do
this unless this is a new color and they needed to get the pieces out fast and
because there are other 1x3 slopes on the model this would mean they would on
have to have purple running on 1 slope production line instead of 2.