 Star Wars / 1256
Re: An Episode I Set Finally Revealed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:14:35 GMT

I can't understand those opinions about the difficulty of using already
"ready" molds with a new pigment. For inventory tracking and production
planning point of view, yes it has its own difficulties, but not much than
adding any new part (no matter in an existing color, or not) to the
inventory, which is a very common procedure for TLG as all we know. There is
no technical difficulty since I assume that they already have their own
formulations to prepare "production worthy" ABS mixtures having many colors
other than that we already know about, if their chemical lab staff not
earning their money by simply playing mine sweeper.

The preparation of a new mold is a much more difficult and expensive
(considering their *very tight* tolerances) procedure, but in fact, we know
TLG introduces a vast number of new pieces every year, and even some of them
are unique to a specific set, or not used in more than 2-3 sets (remember
the hook piece of red recycle truck, bucket of snorkel squad, steering
mechanism parts of super car, etc.).

Furthermore, introducing a new part in a specific set (one with a new shape,
new color, or new screen print - doesn't matter) does not mean in anyway
that it would not be used in any other set. Remembering orange star fishes
and icecream hornets from belville and orange halloween pack, or the pink
dinghy (the *only* one colored other than yellow) in a belville set? Who
could imagine the arm pieces of 1970's maxifigs would be used as exploration
submarine arms, or space shuttle crane arm in 1990's? Who could imagine a
belville phone handset would be used as a flood light holder in a diver
ship? Who could imagine homemaker water taps would be spark plugs in a
technic car? (people like Karim and Sproat are of course out of this
"who"..:-D)

Returning back to the gungansub pic, it looks like a scanning trick, but, as
one of the fellows said, if it's originally purple (I don't think so
regarding micromachines gungansub pic) most probably it would be purple, at
least should be.

Selçuk