 Star Wars / 10176
Re: What's Left? (Classic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:

From: "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>

<some snippage>

*Sandcrawler

This would have to be so big, I can't imagine them making a set for it.  I
mean, few people would recognise it!

I think they could do it. It wouldn't be to scale, but I think it could at
least have a cockpit area and a place below for some droids. They could use
the tread thingys from the Arctic sets.

   As soon as I saw this, I remember that "primitive" on a .jpg
   from Mania Magazine--someone posted it here, don't have the cite
   atm--but it was rather nifty, and possibly do-able as a $100-class
   set (or shrinkable to the $50-70 range).

   And I can see it for the Jawas.  Why?  Because in order to make
   reasonable Jawas, you have to go small (although they didn't for
   Anakin, which was consterning enough!), and once you've done that,
   the Yoda possibilities are immense.

   One more thought:  A Jawa set need not be a full sandcrawler
   (a la the cardboard diorama set Kenner put out in 1979); but
   it would be a *magnificent* chance to put out lots of droids,
   including, dare we say it, Gonk!

*AT-AT

I personally think this could be done for a $90-$120 price point.

Could be.

   Likewise.  If they give this one a miss, I'd be VERY shocked--
   IMHO, anything done in Technic is apt to be done in regular
   SYSTEM.

*Jabba's Barge

Now we're really stretching, but they did do the Skiff, so why not?

Hmmm... Scaled down, but yes.

   And the perfect excuse to make a Jabba POOP!  (Although to
   be honest, I'd be expecting a Jabba's Throne Room on the
   barge--or in the Palace, where one might get a Rancor along
   the lines of Rock Raiders' BURPman (again, diminished scale...)

*T-16 Skyhopper

Never even on film- seems unlikely

Yah.

   I wouldn't rule this one out so quickly--it proved to be
   *very* popular in the Expanded Universe, and even though
   that's not on the agenda, the T-16 has appeared so *much*
   and it does have some kind of connection to the actual
   movie that it makes logical sense.

*Sandtroopers with Dewback

Uh.  The Dewback would end up being a Kaadu-like guy, but it might be cool.
Definitely good for getting lots of Stormtroopers.

Don't forget: with desert shoulder pad/backpack!

   Kaadu orange half-epaulette?  I don't think they'd go to that
   trouble--I'd sooner expect a printed shoulder.  But I agree that
   I can see this one coming a mile away.

*Han and Luke on Tauntauns

Gungan patrol part 2, seems likely.

Yep.

   I'm in agreement here.  However, I could also see a "Han vs.
   Probe Droid" set--or Han and Luke and a Probe Droid, playing
   fast and loose with the order of things.

*Cloud Car

Mmmm, or-ange.

Yeesssssss.... definitely.

   Another they'd be crazy to give a miss--although expect
   them to use the Naboo Fighter canopy, printed if we're lucky
   (Early WWII fighters at last?)...and the Bespin Guards, blue w/
   blue kepis (or perhaps in black, because it's a really dark
   blue.)

   My picks for possible others?

   1. I'll second the earlier case for including the TIE family.
      Too much has already been done with the model architecture;
      they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.

   2. Carbonite freezing chamber.  Good action potential, and the
      Han in Carbonite print already exists.  Plus ugnaughts?  (Not
      bloody likely.)

   3. Ion Cannon/Hoth Battlefield.  It's an important moment in
      ESB, so why not?  (Not the Ion Cannon per se, necessarily,
      but maybe a little turret and some troopers like the one
      in 7130?)

   4. Death Star Transport.  That little grey thing that zipped
      around a few times?  With a few stormtroopers, one hopes!

   5. Ewok Village.  They're going to *have* to use the Endor
      sequence more if they're going to get any mileage at all
      out of this.  I'd picture some modification of the Dark
      Forest Fortress scheme, with either outscale Ewoks (gads,
      sad day when Chewbacca and an Ewok are the same size...)
      or the new formula little people (Jawas, Yoda, etc?).

   6. Yoda/Dagobah *anything*.  Lots of swamp and critter possi-
      bilities...and a Darth Vader with Luke's head!

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

   So, what *is* the story with this "Muffin Head" thing?  I've been
   rather confused for some time.  About that, too.

   best

   LFB