 Robotics / RCX / *655 (-100)
  Re: Unable to unzip (or bunzip2) legOS-990330.tar.bz2

I didn't even try, since the other things on the site didn't work. I got it from the site of Luis's howto.I wonder if the site will ever be fixed Frederick N. Brier wrote in message <37C3B4DC.B27D3028@m...ck.com>... (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  new release???

Hi, I've been wondering why there hasn't been put out a newer release than 990330, especially since the rotation sensors doesn't work in it. But the error was identified way back in April by Mario Ferrari ((URL) STATE_0_VALUE (ds_unscale(1023U)) ... (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX Battery Source

my rcx works fine with a universal ac to dc wall outlet. it has a switch to change the voltage. i've got it set at 9v and it operates at 800mA max. i figured 6 batteries x 1.5v =9v. i think it was originally for a keyboard (musical instrument, not (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  HOWTO news :(

I just got back from vacation 2-3 hrs ago, and have just found out that the school cleared our one-year name leases while I was gone. As a result, the HOWTO at arthurdent.dorm.duke.edu has been unavailable for several days (not quite sure how long (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RCX Battery Source

Hi All, My old cellular "bag-phone" died a while back and I replaced it with a nice teeny tiny PCS phone. I had bought the 12V 2.3Ah sealed lead battery as an option with the original phone. It is WAY smaller than the 4Ah monsters I'm using for (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Unable to unzip (or bunzip2) legOS-990330.tar.bz2

Has anyone else had a problem downloading and unzipping the current snapshot (legOS-990330.tar.bz2)? This was from the URL: (URL) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RCX Image Uploader Wins Contest

Hmmm - I just got emailed that I won the "Best Lightweight Use" of the TclTk programming language in a contest sponsored by Scriptics (URL) Here's the URL from Scriptics and if you follow the link to me on that page it'll take you right to my (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Where'd the HOWTO document go?

Hi, Where's Luis Villa's HOWTO document? This is the URL I have for it: (URL) that server seems to have disappeared. Anyone know of a new home for this document? Thanks, Jonathan (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  MacNQC in beta test

MacNQC is a GUI based version of NQC for the Macintosh. You can read more about it here: (URL) course, you can also find it from the main NQC site: (URL) Baum (25 years ago, 23-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Rcx Command Center version 3.0 beta avaialbe

Dear All, I am happy to announce that on the RcxCC web site there now is a beta release of RCX Command Center version 3.0 available. (URL) version uses NQC 2.0 (beta). Note that NQC 2.0 is not compatible with previous versions. RcxCC 3.0 includes a (...) (25 years ago, 16-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC floating point library?

(...) Sorry, the standard RCX firmware doesn't support anything other than signed 16 bit integer math, so NQC doesn't do floating point. Depending upon the problem, you may still be able to convert the operation into appropriate integer math. If you (...) (25 years ago, 15-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC floating point library?

I don't think the rcx supports floating point, but you could scale by a certain amount to do the math. Jim Knepley wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 15-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC floating point library?

I have a need to do floating point math in the RCX, but NQC only seems to natively support integers. Is there a floating point library for NQC? Jim (25 years ago, 15-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

(...) Well, that beats my Centris 610 (1993, with a 68040 upgrade) as the oldest Mac I've heard running NQC. -Tim (25 years ago, 15-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: MindFest

Ben wrote... (...) I did the same thing, and noticed that the 24T gears that came with my Mindstorms DON'T look like that, they are missing the little hands. Fortunately I have a lot of the older ones... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- Check (...) (25 years ago, 14-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  WindowsCE?

Has anyone ported NQC tools to WindowsCE? -gyug (25 years ago, 14-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Translating NQC 1.x to NQC 2.0

(...) Thanks Mark! Your RCXCC is a great environment - now if I can get it to stop munging the screen after some scrolls... I, as an RCX fan, salute your work and commend your efforts (gets out big gold star to stick on your lapel.) NQC is great, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: random()

(...) extern long int random (void); Looks like -2^31 to 2^31-1 to me, unless you cast to unsigned int. Or does liberty use 16-bit ints internally? Why not write a short test program to check this out? And why doesn't LegOS use a wrapper around the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  random()

What is the range of values returned from random()? Thanks, Jonathan (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Translating NQC 1.x to NQC 2.0

The next version of RCX Command Center (expect a beta at the beginning of the comming week) will contain a command to translate from NQC 1.x to NQC 2.0. It is not completely fool-proof but seems to work in almost all cases. Mark Overmars (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Dacta Amusment park Set

(...) As Ben Erwin has said in his reply, this set does not come with huge amount of "plastic". However, this set includes 2 motors, 1 light sensors, 2 touch sensors, and 1 ghost shroud. This makes it an excellent expansion set for Mindstorms RIS. I (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Dacta Amusment park Set

The amusement park set has really good models, but probably doesn't give you the same amount of plastic for your dollar as some other sets. If you are thinking about using this with kids, I found that even 6th graders (I was teaching 6th, 7th, and (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

yeah... mostly search-and-replace. Dave Baum wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Dacta Amusment park Set

Has anyone tried to order some of the kits from the Dacta/Pitsco site? there is an amusement park set that does bumper cars, tourbus that follows a line, and a few other things for like $100. didn't know what it was, or if it would be cool to get. (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

(...) Yes, AT is set to ethernet. (...) OK, I'll try that also. BTW, I now have nqc running on my *old* SE/30 (8MB) with a version of MPW I found on ETO-20. Everything seems to work fine. Downloads firmware as well as test.nqc Still mystified by the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

(...) I use the IR tower with a Wallstreet regularly (NQC was developed on my PowerBook), and I haven't had any problems. Did you make sure that AppleTalk is either set for Ethernet or turned off completely? You also may want to disable other (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

(...) Yes. The PB-G3 is plugged into a wall-wart almost all the time. I thought of that also. Very strange. I'm resurecting an old SE/30 in the hopes that I can squeeze MPW into an 8MB machine. I think the serial ports on that machine ought to be (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

(...) This might sound stupid, but did you try it with the G3 attached to a wall wart? The reason I mention this is that my digital camera only downloads to my laptop if the laptop is plugged in to the wall. The laptop serial levels DO change (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  FW: Building help from TLG

(...) (URL) DUH!! You are right. I DO know about right clicking, I'm just so used to going to a site and having the URL up there in the window WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!! PS, Thanks to all the others that responded so quickly...what a friendly (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  IR-Tower and PowerBook-G3 ?

Has anyone else had problems using the IR-Tower with a PowerBook-G3 (WallStreet '98)? I tried for two days and only got 'Problem talking to IR device' messages. Tried different cables, cont-checked both cables. Finally went and tried it on the GFs (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Developing an Explorer Bot with RCX to PC Communication (was: Jack's Explorer Bot)

I thought this _might_ be of interest to either those in l.r.r.legos or l.r.r.nqc, but I couldn't decide which, so I'll just post it here [in l.r.r]. It's what I came up with given two weeks with a Mindstorms kit and reading the groups here at (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

(...) Many of the changes were to make NQC similar to RCX Code (at least for the commands that RCX Code supports), and I believe RCX Code has a loose connection to the Lego Logo work. Dave (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

These new commands seem like Lego Logo. Dave Baum wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

I don't have any plans to write such a tool. Really quite a lot of work to build something stand-alone to do this. Should be reasonably easy from within perl, though. Dave (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

Will it be possible someday to have an option to upconvert the programs? Dave Baum wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: Handy Board software

(...) They're both really decent 8bit micros. Similar IO capabilities, and I think the HC11 has better timers, but only 8 bit A/D. I've worked a LOT with the HC11 and it's really a good part. (...) Beleive it or not, there is a FORTH for the HC11 (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Handy Board software

(...) They're both 8-bit microcontrollers with a roughly similar set of peripheral functions (timer, ACD, serial port, etc). But the similarity ends there. The programming model for the H8 is compltely different from the 68xx series. (...) I don't (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Handy Board software

Over the past few months, I've been reading with great interest many of the exciting things people here have written about the Handy Board... (10 URLs) I'm really starting to think that one of these would be a great addition to my LEGO collection. (...) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: egcs download problem

I got it from luis' site, but the version there doesn't support c++, and legos needs c++, doesn't it? John Bauman wrote in message ... (...) compiler (...) (25 years ago, 8-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  egcs download problem

Has anyone else had this problem?I went to download the linux egcs compiler from the legOS site.I downloaded right, but it only downloaded ~2 megs, while the page said it was supposed to download ~3megs. Later, when i tried to bunzip(with bunzip2, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

(...) The topic comes up from time to time. I'm *way* too busy with other projects to extend the firmware, but if someone else wanted to, I'd be willing to extend NQC as needed. If someone else is seriously interested in taking on this work, please (...) (25 years ago, 7-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

NQC seems perfect right now, thanks ! But well, now nqc has all the features suported by the original rcx firmware, it should be very interesting to modify the existing firmware, in order to add new features, but still keeping ease of use of NQC. I (...) (25 years ago, 7-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: How do you convert light sensor data to bmp image

What could very exiting is to create a win32 software with spirit.ocx which could display in realtime the image on your screen... I'll work at it when i'll get the mindstorm... ---...--- Philippe Jadin mailto:philippe.jadin@skynet.be Belgium, Europe (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC 2.0 ready for beta test

See the "beta testing" section of the NQC site: (URL) documentation is still somewhat minimal, but it should be enough for people to get started. Dave Baum (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LNP - lets get coding.

(...) Regarding where to go from here, if you step up to do the coding, I believe where to go is up to you. I don't know if that is how it usually works, but I certainly wouldn't want to be coding up something I am not happy with, so I would expect (...) (25 years ago, 1-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP - lets get coding.

(...) I have just grabbed a copy - will have a look! Where do you suggest we go from here? I'm up for creating an initial API and getting some code cut (Within my limits - I know little/nothing about Linux & MacOS, and as yes LegOS). However, I'm (...) (25 years ago, 1-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP - lets get coding.

(...) No, you didn't - I just didn't wanted to make sure I wasn't :) (...) This has already been done, for Librcx at least; don't know if anybody took a look at the code I put at: (URL) mentioned wanting to maybe take a look at that; porting to (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP - lets get coding.

(...) Hi, Didn't mean to come across as arguing - sorry if I did! As you say, lets get coding LNP (My assumption is that the coding bit hasn't started yet, if it has, please accept my apologies & let me know how it is going!). I guess the things (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  emulegOS: quick bug fixes

I received this message by Mark Falco: (...) The site is now updated and emulegOS_unix.zip contains the new patched versions of ir-rover.cpp and irclient.tcl. The URL is: (URL) Mark Mario (URL) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: LNP Repost

(...) I think Kekoa means that we should calculate the CRC16 and use only the high byte in the message, to save space. If we then tag the low byte on later, the old code expecting only the high byte won't break.... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost

(...) I'm not sure you can construct a sensible CRC16 that has a CRC8 as one byte. Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost (Me banging on about checksums)

(...) You will miss about 1 in 256 errors that you do not catch earlier using collision detection. I think your error rate per message will be much less than 1 in 256 if you (can?) get the collision detection code right. But we shouldn't argue the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost (Me banging on about checksums)

(...) With much respect, I would suggest that CRC8 is probably not sufficient, especially if we go for a broadcast (Ethernet) solution, where lots of collisions, and hence errors, will probably occur - with CRC8 you will probably miss about 1 in 256 (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: New pbFORTH 106 release

Hi Ralph, Thanks for the new release. I have a couple of questions: 1. How do I use BUTTON_GET? The documentation says it just expects to find an address on the stack, but I get this: RCX_BUTTON BUTTON_GET BUTTON_GET ? stack underflow 2. What (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: rcxhttpd?

I love the idea, I think it would be great to see hundreds of little bots whizzing round my house comunicating with each other. Its a bit like teaching your dog to fetch the morning mail. Alan Bell. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Laser Pointers

(...) Laser pointers were legal in the uk but to my knowledge have been banned because kids were misusing them, in one incident a Bus nearly crashed and the driver was in hospital for a while after a school kid bounced the laser beam of the rear (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: LNP Repost

(...) My only thoughts are that not everybody will need or want the generality of port support in the protocol. I would suggest reordering the first four bytes, moving the payload length up toward the front, and defining it to explicitly include the (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

(...) Me, too ;-) Markus. (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost

(...) As am I - it looks interesting, but looks like it may have died. Hopefully not! (...) election process. I had wondered about this. My big suggestion is for us to come up with a software API for both the RCX end and PC (or whatever) end. This (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost (Checksum algorithm)

This has little (Err... nothing in fact) to do with Lego, but worth noting as it is handy when you need a good SW checksum! (...) Indeed, as you say the standard I mentioned does use mod 255 (See Annex C ISO/IEC 8473-1 : 1994 [(URL) As far as I can (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  New pbFORTH 106 release

This is a bulk mailing of notice of the new pbFORTH 106 release. If you don't want to be on this list, please email me so I can take you off. The latest and greatest pbFORTH is now available. Enhancements include: 1. Fixed issues with timers (thanks (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

This was my reaction too. In fact, I was gleefully skipping around with a printout! Congrats and thanks to those involved. -Suz. (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Repost

I am coming into the middle of this (or at the end considering the posting dates), and am hoping I don't sound like a fool putting out these ideas (since I don't yet know how legOS works). Is the RCX# used as a sort of ethernet MAC address? If you (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: TIMER 0 is flakey

(...) That's not all. Seems like I've left half of the words using the old calling convention..... I'll get 1.0.6 out and posted by tomorrow, along with the TCL gui and a small test suite. Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- The train stops at (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

Yahoo! Maybe we adult lego enthusiasts can finally come out of the closet & say, "were here, we like lego's, GET USED TO IT!!!" : ) Michael Aaron (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

(...) That's kind of only a tiny mention. I meant that it didn't really talk about it in-depth. That's what's so cool about the new article, IMHO -- it's a first step toward a larger awareness. --Todd (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

It does talk about the " using an open architecture system. " "MindStorms robot developers were creating code in a variety of languages like Visual Basic and C on their PCs and uploading the code to the RCX units. " John A. Donaldson (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Do the high resolution timers work?

(...) Yep, you've got the parameters backwards. Try FFFF 0 timer_set. Also, I'm not sure about numbers above 0x8000... I'm working on a TclTk interface for uploading firmware images to the RCX and for pbFORTH scripts. I ALMOST have the comment (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: TIMER 0 is flakey

(...) Looks like I'd better test this again, and maybe release 1.06... Sorry. Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- The train stops at the train station, The bus stops at the bus station, So why am I sitting at a work station? ---...--- Reply to: (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

(...) (I guess I should have posted, instead of going to lunch! ;-) But there *IS* a URL...they just didn't put http:// in front of it, so your browser may have missed it. They mentioned Markus' site ((URL) in that same paragraph. (They mention (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf)

  Re: legOS and Markus in Forbes

(...) This is BIG NEWS and GREAT exposure for Markus and friends!!! -- a major business magazine recognizing the pursuits and achievements of adult LEGO fanatics on the net to extend the RCX technology toward greater heights! In May, Forbes also had (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.announce)

  Re: LNP Repost

(...) I remember that! But aren't you supposed to do it mod 255 for maximum effectiveness? Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  TIMER 0 is flakey

Hi Ralph, It looks like TIMER 0 is hosed in v1.05. Take a gander at this: ----- : time RCX_INIT 0 0 TIMER_SET 32 0 DO 0 TIMER_GET . LOOP ; ok time 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 -32639 -32639 130 130 -32638 131 131 131 -32637 132 132 132 133 -32635 (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: LNP Repost

Hi, I'm kinda new to LUGNET, so if I get this wrong - sorry! I'm interested in this LNP idea that seemed to be floating around a few months ago. Is it still alive, and if so what state has it got to? I would be grateful if someone can post or e-mail (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Do the high resolution timers work?

Hi Ralph, Are timer_SET and timer_GET working? I can't seem to get any non-zero values from them: RCX_INIT ok 0 FFFF timer_SET ok 0 timer_GET . 0 ok Am I missing something? Thanks, Jonathan (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  legOS and Markus in Forbes

Check it out here- brief, and unfortunately no URLs, but... (URL) (who is only slightly hurt that his documentation wasn't mentioned :) (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  better test value for touch sensors

FYI: The simple-rover example uses an unsafe test value for touch sensors. Touch sensor should be tested against <0xf000, NOT <0x2000 (e.g. simple-rover.c) Reason: Not pressed has a constant value >0xf000. Pressed varies depending on battery change, (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  The IR FIX -- was: Re: Is IR considered broken?

(...) I had the same problem. (...) Here's the fix: enclode the old handler code in #ifdef TRASH, use the new #else part. I'll say a few things about the motivation below. (If you prefer to patch, download (URL) it's based on LegOS 0.1.7 but should (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Laser Pointers

Are they legal in UK? Any Help Appreciated (25 years ago, 25-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: problem with control speed using NQC

The Mindstorms RCX Code software does the exact same thing as the code you listed, the only caveat is I think RCX Code uses power settings from 1 to 8 while NQC uses 0 to 7. Both result in the same bytecodes for the RCX to interpret. // turn A on (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC emulator?

The idea has cropped up from time to time, but nobody has written one yet. You probably don't want to simulate NQC code, but rather interpret the bytecodes emitted by the NQC compiler. These are just the bytecodes of the standard Lego firmware. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Rotation sensors?

Thanks Mark, those changes got rotation-sensor.c working for me. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  NQC emulator?

Hello, it seems that the LegOS people have an emulator so that one can test programs "virtually", i.e. on your PC rather than the real RCX. Is there something similar available on the NQC side? (I need to kill the time until the Mindstorm kit (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: problem with control speed using NQC

But how does the original mindstorms software do it. With the Mindstorms software you can set the speed of each motor and it is obviously different. I must be missing something. I did a search on lugnet and found some NQC code to drive the motors (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: rcxhttpd?

You could use a terminal server and at leaset telnet to the rcx. KL (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: problem with control speed using NQC

The RCX uses pulse-width modulation to control power to the motor. The pulses are between 1ms and 8ms of power during an 8ms interval. In theory, this would result in different power being provided to the motor. The problem is that the motor has an (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: rcxhttpd?

(...) LOL! I like it! (...) [other protocols snipped] (...) Yes I am! Now, to convince the department that we _really_ need 1000 more Mindstorm kits as a fall-back for e-mail in case the net goes down. ;) jack (envisioning a building full of roving (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: problem with control speed using NQC

I think that output power effects the modulation of the motor power. The motor power cycles on and off with the off time being longer at lower power settings. As David stated, this results in the same speed of the motor when it is unloaded for all (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: problem with control speed using NQC

I've had the same result. It seems an **unloaded** motor always runs at full speed. To explain it to myself, I've theorized that the 'p' (power) in Fwd() and OutputPower() is more akin to force and does not directly control velocity. Waiting for (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: emulegOS: a new release

Just a note about a small bug. The supplied sample program ir-rover.cpp doesn't work on the real RCX. I think this may be due to IR complications under legOs. I'm working on a version which will work on both the emulator and the real system and will (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  emulegOS: a new release

Mark Falco improved his Tcl/Tk version of emulegOS with tons of cool features. This version is now considered the "official" version of emulegOS, and we hope to release a Tcl based Windows version soon. The new features include: - IR support: (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Rotation sensors?

(...) [snip...] If you want to have more info about the sotry of this problem search this newsgruop for "rotation sensor bug found". Mario (URL) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  problem with control speed using NQC

Okay, need some more help. I have the following code running. My expectation is that the speed of the motor would increase but the integer value in the 'Fwd' command doesn't seem to make any difference. The motor always runs at full speed. (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: rcxhttpd?

I don't think my first post succeeded, so here it is again. Sorry if you've already seen this. (...) wander around the house until it finds another 'bot. Then it would relay the message to that 'bot. This second 'bot could wander around until (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Rotation sensors?

Yep, others have reported having these problems. Here's a fix I came up with, but has also only been tested on my system. There have been reports that the existing code works for some, and not for others, so you may need to customize this. just (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Rotation sensors?

Hello, Rotation sensors appear to be broken in the 990330 snapshot. Here's part of the code I'm using: ds_active(&SENSOR_3); ds_rotation_on(&SENSOR_3); ds_rotation_set(&SENSOR_3, 0); while (!PRESSED(button_state(), BUTTON_VIEW)) { (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Couple of questions about the Mindstorms software

<Silly fly thread snipped...it WAS funny though> (...) Well, pbFORTH DOES have the ability to emit arbitrary bytes by the use of the EMIT word. And it has the ability to receive arbitrary bytes since that's how the terminal program talks to it. It's (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Barcode Reader on LegOS page

Here is alex's webpage taken from the Legos page: (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Couple of questions about the Mindstorms software

(...) LOL! BTW, speaking of viruses (in the good sense) and on-the-fly bytecode compiling, do any of the RCX packages currently support the spontaneous exchange of high-level code between two or more RCX bricks? It seems like it would almost be a (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Help request regarding alternative programming systems

(...) Check out Dave Baum's NQC (Not Quite C). This is your best bet, IMHO. NQC doesn't get around the significant limitations of the RCX firmware, but it should easily be able to handle the application that you describe. (URL) you are running a (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact