 Robotics / 6154
RE: Handy Board software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:19:26 GMT

* How different (or similar) are the Hitachi H8/300 and the Motorola 68HC11
  CPU and I/O architectures?

They're both really decent 8bit micros. Similar IO capabilities, and I think the
HC11 has better timers, but only 8 bit A/D. I've worked a LOT with the HC11
and it's really a good part.

* Is there any firmware for the Handy Board which allows it to run RCX Code
  or NQC programs?  That is, software for the Handy Board which emulates the
  default RCX bytecode-interpreter firmware?

Beleive it or not, there is a FORTH for the HC11 !!!

Hmm, both the Handy board and the RCX will run FORTH, not all we need is a
similar run-time  lib and we have a cool way to run the same FORTH code
on both machines.

On the other hand, you will have to be pretty adept at electronics to
interface tothe HandyBoard without blowing it up. Since my time is money,
I'll stick with the RCX since the motor drivers and sensors are already
there (and a display too.)

Todd, wait for the new Mindstorms book from O'Reilly. It has really good
chapters on each of the major independent firmware projects and will be
a catalyst for further robotic experiments...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com