 Robotics / 6149
Re: Handy Board software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 06:53:03 GMT

In article <37ae17be.229060659@lugnet.com>, lehman@javanet.com (Todd
Lehman) wrote:

...and I'm really starting to think that one of these would be a great
addition to my LEGO collection.  Before I drool miles of drool, I have some
questions...

* How different (or similar) are the Hitachi H8/300 and the Motorola 68HC11
CPU and I/O architectures?

They're both 8-bit microcontrollers with a roughly similar set of
peripheral functions (timer, ACD, serial port, etc).  But the similarity
ends there.  The programming model for the H8 is compltely different from
the 68xx series.

* Is there any firmware for the Handy Board which allows it to run RCX Code
or NQC programs?  That is, software for the Handy Board which emulates the
default RCX bytecode-interpreter firmware?

I don't know of anything like that.

I think the HB development tool of choice is Interactive C, which compiles
to its own intermediate bytecodes.  These bytecodes are much more flexible
than the RCX ones - the HB interpreter implements a general purpose stack
machine.

Actually, I'd be more interested in the reverse of your question...has
anyone ported the HB runtime to the RCX so we can use Interactive C on the
RCX?

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com