 Robotics / 6155
Re: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:31:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Todd Lehman writes:
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, in lugnet.robotics, David Chen wrote:
[...]
I was reading about hooking up 2 motors A + B and arriving at a
dynometer arrangement.  ie. Turning A causes B to rotate.

SNIP

Dave, this use of a motor as an input is fascinating!  (How safe is it?
Looking at some older threads, there seems to be a difference of opinions,
or at least a non-consensus that it's safe...)

SNIP

--Todd

p.s.  A couple of related threads:
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=3309&t=i&v=b  (Jan 99)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=3371&t=i&v=b  (Feb 99)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=5240&t=i&v=b  (Jun 99)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=5254&t=i&v=b  (Jun 99)

Todd,

The danger as I see it is not electrical but physical. If the sensor mode of
the input port is "active" the port will provide power to the motor (sensor).
Thus you could have 2 motors either working together or opposing. This could
be too mutch force for the model to handle...

Rich