 Robotics / 6156
RE: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:31:34 GMT

One funny thing I noticed:  I had to apply about twice as much torque to
turn the wheel with the lamp attached to the motor as I did when the motor
was hooked instead to a second motor.  That is, it "felt" about twice as
hard to turn the wheel at the same speed.  Is this because the lamp is
super-inefficient at converting electomagnetic energy to visible light,
while a LEGO motor is super-efficient at converting electromagnetic energy
back into kinetic energy?

I'm not a EE, but here's my take on the situation...

Turning the motor increases the electrical potential (voltage) between its
two contacts.  If the motor isn't connected to anything, then its easy to
turn - relatively little energy is required to make one of the motor
contacts sit at a higher potential than the other.  If you short the motor
contacts together, however, then you have a different situation.  In order
to maintain a difference in potential, you need a sizeable current moving
through the wires.  This requires a lot of work, thus its hard to turn the
motor.  Thus how "hard" it is to turn the first motor has to due with how
much current needs to be moved in order to maintain a certain voltage.

In fact, this is how the RCX motor controller internally sets the motor up
for "brake" instead of "off"...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Indside of a dog, it's too dark to read...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com