 Robotics / 6192
Re: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:48:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com (Dave Baum) writes:

I'm not a EE, but here's my take on the situation...

Turning the motor increases the electrical potential (voltage) between its
two contacts.  If the motor isn't connected to anything, then its easy to
turn - relatively little energy is required to make one of the motor
contacts sit at a higher potential than the other.  If you short the motor
contacts together, however, then you have a different situation.  In order
to maintain a difference in potential, you need a sizeable current moving
through the wires.  This requires a lot of work, thus its hard to turn the
motor.  Thus how "hard" it is to turn the first motor has to due with how
much current needs to be moved in order to maintain a certain voltage.

At 9V, the incadescent lights will draw more current than the motor.  My
rough measurements are about 30ma for the light, and less than 5ma for the
motor (free running).  This doesn't directly relate to efficiency.  Just
becasue one device draws more power than another, that doesn't necessarily
mean it is any less efficient.  For example, a large switching power
supply will draw much more power than a small linear regulator, but the
switcher is almost certainly more efficient.

One reason the motor draws so little energy when running without a load is
that it hardly needs any energy to keep spinning.  This doesn't
necessarily mean it is efficient at converting electrical to mechanical
energy.  Its just efficient at not losing its present mechanical energy
(angular momentum of the flywheel) due to friction, etc.

A-HA!!!  That makes sense!

To judge efficiency, we would need to quantify how much of the energe
going into the light is emitted as visible light.  And for the motor we
would need to measure the amount of mechanical energy it produced.

p.s.  Probably a much longer answer than you were looking for, Todd.

No, this is great!!!  Thanks!

--Todd