 Robotics / 6143
Re: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:39:15 GMT

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, in lugnet.robotics, David Chen wrote:
[...]
I was reading about hooking up 2 motors A + B and arriving at a
dynometer arrangement.  ie. Turning A causes B to rotate.

I tried this, but also hooked up both motors to an Input port that was
set up for RAW readings (don't ask me why, I was just messing
around...).  Lo and behold, a RAW input reading was generated
proportional to the speed at which the motors were turning.

I re-configured for just 1 motor and I was able to replicate this, thus
with this curcuit:

+-----+
|Motor|----->Sensor Input = proportional to Motor RPM
|     |               Just measuring the voltage being
+-----+               generated by turning the motor.  I think.

Three downsides.
1) You use up a perfectly good motor for a tach.
2) The Input reading maxes out at 1024 pretty fast so the motor has to
be geared down (ie. slow down RPM's at the Motor relative to the input).
3) The motor imparts a significant frictional/mechanical load on the
input being measured.

Maybe I'll find a use for this, or maybe I'll just pony up the $$$ for a
proper angle/rotation sensor.  Let me know if anyone finds a use for
this.

Dave, this use of a motor as an input is fascinating!  (How safe is it?
Looking at some older threads, there seems to be a difference of opinions,
or at least a non-consensus that it's safe...)

I just hooked an 1x2 LEGO incandescent lamp up to a geared-motor to see what
would happen, and sure enough, the faster I turned the wheel, the brighter
the lamp shone.

One funny thing I noticed:  I had to apply about twice as much torque to
turn the wheel with the lamp attached to the motor as I did when the motor
was hooked instead to a second motor.  That is, it "felt" about twice as
hard to turn the wheel at the same speed.  Is this because the lamp is
super-inefficient at converting electomagnetic energy to visible light,
while a LEGO motor is super-efficient at converting electromagnetic energy
back into kinetic energy?

Anyhow, I suppose it'd be possible to attach a motor (heavily geared down)
on the side of a small rodent exercise wheel and use the programmable brick
to graph how fast and how often the mouse/hamster/gerbil/etc. was exercising.
I wonder what other types of applications there are. . . .?

--Todd

p.s.  A couple of related threads:
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=3309&t=i&v=b  (Jan 99)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=3371&t=i&v=b  (Feb 99)