 Robotics / 6158
Re: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:35:26 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

One funny thing I noticed:  I had to apply about twice as much torque to
turn the wheel with the lamp attached to the motor as I did when the motor
was hooked instead to a second motor.  That is, it "felt" about twice as
hard to turn the wheel at the same speed.  Is this because the lamp is
super-inefficient at converting electomagnetic energy to visible light,
while a LEGO motor is super-efficient at converting electromagnetic energy
back into kinetic energy?

Try to short circuit the motor used as tarcometer / generator, and you'll see.
Also try preventing the second motor from spinning, and you'll experience the
same thing. About efficiency: this is not what you are experiencing, but the
motor surely is more efficient than a lamp.

Jacob