 Robotics / 6159
Re: Power steering for 8448
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:24:21 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Jacob Schultz <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
always measure the angle the car is driving, and control the steering so it does
not tear the car apart.
Right now I try to put in a touch sensor also, so the car can center its steering
itself.

The unfortunate thing with this approach is that you've used up 2/3 of your
inputs just for steering.

I wouldn't say /just/ for steering. And in fact I only use in input, since the touch
sensor can be connected in parallel with a light sensor or such thing. The touch
sensor is by the way only used during initialization, when the outer limits of the
steering is determined to center it. During normal operation the steering is not
allowed to enter those outer positions, since it will easily go wrong and destroy
something - so during normal operation the touch sensor is never used. This way the
steering only uses one input, and I think that's ok.

Jacob