 Robotics / 6175
RE: Using the Motor as a Tachometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:40:10 GMT

In fact, if you hook up two motors using the black cords and turn one of them,
the increased voltage will cause the other one to turn without any physical
effort applied to it. That's pretty rad.

I'm not sure if I understand the brake concept? Could you explain?

The brake concept can be easily demonstrated.

1. Hook up two motors to two separate RCX outputs. Put a big motorcycle
wheel on each so you can see them spinning easily.

2. Hook up a touch sensor to one of the RCX inputs.

3. Program the RCX so that both motors spin when you press the switch and
that one motor "floats" in the off state while the other "brakes" when you
release the switch.

Run your program and note that the "braked" (not broken) motor stops turning
MUCH more quickly that the one that is "floating". The motor controller
basically disconnects the motor from the power supply and also applies a
short across the motor terminals, thus braking it...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com