 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 353
Re: LNP Repost (Me banging on about checksums)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:47:22 GMT

Kevin Baker <kevin.baker@racalitsec.com> wrote:
With much respect, I would suggest that CRC8 is probably not sufficient,
especially if we go for a broadcast (Ethernet) solution, where lots of
collisions, and hence errors, will probably occur - with CRC8 you will
probably miss about 1 in 256 errors, which sounds rather high.

You will miss about 1 in 256 errors that you do not catch earlier using
collision detection.  I think your error rate per message will be much less
than 1 in 256 if you (can?) get the collision detection code right.

But we shouldn't argue the point.  Somebody should just code it and try
it.  Practice will show whether a CRC8 is sufficient or whether a CRC16
will be required.

-Kekoa