 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 352
Re: LNP Repost (Me banging on about checksums)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:30:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Kekoa Proudfoot writes:
Regarding the CRC, I would use a CRC8 unless practice shows that a CRC16 is
required.  I would look ahead to the day when a CRC16 is used and choose
the more important byte of the CRC16 to be the CRC8.  Tagging an extra byte
onto the end of a message can then be completely backwards compatible
assuming you write the software correctly.

-Kekoa

With much respect, I would suggest that CRC8 is probably not sufficient,
especially if we go for a broadcast (Ethernet) solution, where lots of
collisions, and hence errors, will probably occur - with CRC8 you will
probably miss about 1 in 256 errors, which sounds rather high.

Can I suggest the checksum mechanism I recently posted - we can have a 16 bit
checksum at lower CPU code size & execution speed costs, but with error
detection almost the equal of any CRC16.

This is a software protocol, lets use a software solution, not a hardware
solution!

Kevin.

P.S. Sorry - I promise not to mention it again!!!!