 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 141
Re: LNP Repost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:46:49 GMT

I personally can't see needing more than about 7 tasks listening at one
time anyway.  Keep in mind that the resources on the lego are very very
small.  As far as reserving an address for IPC that would be fine.  We
could reserve 00000b for IPC and 11111b for broadcast then.  It could be
quite possible to go to 4 bits a piece but this may limit the number of
legos too much.  Although, like I said earlier, too many legos will just
result in flooding...

What does everyone think about this?

-Jake

Lou Sortman wrote:

"Jacob S. Barrett" wrote:

I thought it might be good to repost this with some changes...

8-15 & 16-23: To Address and From Address are 5 bits each.  This allows
for 32 addressable nodes. The address 00000b will be used for
broadcasting.  The other 31 assigned to the RCXs and Towers.  The ports
are 3 bits each giving a range of 0-7.  Port 0 reserved for the OS.

I can see this.  but it is starting to feel a little cramped on the ports,
though.  What functionality is port 0 reserved for?

Actually, I was thinking of reserving a host address (such as 0x0) for IPC.
I'd probably want to have more than 3 possible local message queues,
though.  The notion of having a unified interface for network and local
communication is appealing.  I thought of just sending to the RCX's host
address (instead of reserving one), but there are security implications.

Do you think that 4 bits for host and 4 for port would work for most people?