 Robotics / RCX / 60
Re: rcxhttpd?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:51:44 GMT

I love the idea, I think it would be great to see hundreds of little bots
whizzing round my house comunicating with each other. Its a bit like teaching
your dog to fetch the morning mail.

Alan Bell.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jack Perdue writes:
"Brian B. Alano" <alano@kiva.net> wrote:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
What about other TCP protocols?  Wouldn't it be fun to ftp or telnet to
your RCX brick?  (Just because you can?  :-)

Don't forget 'finger'. There's already provisions for vending machines, so
it's not much of a stretch. :)

Why not SMTP (E-mail)? Then we could IR an E-mail to a 'bot, who could
wander around the house until it finds another 'bot. Then it would relay
the message to that 'bot. This second 'bot could wander around until
finding another 'bot, or an active IR tower, etc. until the E-mail
finally gets delivered to the target 'bot or PC  ;-)

LOL!  I like it!

More seriously,

[other protocols snipped]

  5) (again with the SMTP). SMTP was designed with consideration for
low-powered devices in mind, and as such shouldn't be hard to implement.
(But where would you *store* messages?) SMTP (and E-mail in general) is
a "store and forward" protocol: messages are received and stored until
they can be re-transmitted closer to their destination. All my ideas for
using this involve a COMMUNITY larger than any yet proposed on this
list (I'm thinking of honey bees, espionage networks,...). Wait, I just
thought of a use: a 'bot with SMTP could communicate directly with the
lugnet.robotics.rcx list/newsgroup! Think of it! Your own 'bot could
monitor the list for postings written by its creator, and when it saw words
like "rebuild" or "scrap", it could find a dark corner to hide in! Or worse,
you could get flamed by your own creation! (Now aren't you glad you read
this whole posting :-)

Yes I am!   Now, to convince the department that we _really_ need
1000 more Mindstorm kits as a fall-back for e-mail in case the net
goes down. ;)

jack (envisioning a building full of roving bots occassionally getting
     squished by students rushing to class).
j-perdue@tamu.edu
http://www.cs.tamu.edu/people/jkp2866/