 Robotics / RCX / 50
Re: rcxhttpd?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:47:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Todd Lehman writes:
[...] a scaled-down version of httpd actually running on the RCX brick
itself.  Obviously, it couldn't hold very many static pages, and it
would need a dedicated IR link to a host machine, but I wonder what
sorts of things could be done?  Anything useful? [...]

Since the RCX has essentially a serial interface to the outside world, you
would need to encode and decode the HTTP requests and responses into a
serial-based protocol. If you actually wanted the RCX to be plug-and-play
compatible with existing TCP/IP communications devices (like your PC acting as
a firewall) then you would have to use an existing protocol for IP over serial
line, like SLIP or PPP. That means you're implementing four layers of protocol:
SLIP or PPP, IP, TCP and HTTP. Even a minimal subset of each of these protocols
adds up to a fair amount of code. I don't know how much memory the code would
take but it's probably pushing the 32K limit.

However, the minimal implementation of HTTP [1] is designed to operate over any
type of connection, not just a TCP connection. In other words, you can forego
the SLIP/PPP, IP, and TCP layers of the protocol and run HTTP directly over a
serial line. If you do this, HTTP is extremely simple. A request consists of
sending "GET " followed by the desired URL and a CRLF; and the response
consists of the ASCII text being sent back followed by "closing of the
connection". To signal "closing the connection" you would probably send a null
character (ASCII 0) or a control-D (ASCII 4).

This approach, of course, has side effects:

  - The computer on the "other end" of the serial line has to know that it's
doing HTTP directly over serial. You'd probably have to write special software
to do this.

  - No error checking or retry to handle noise in the line (which would come
mainly from the infrared link, not from the serial cable itself)

  - No ability to run other protocols over the same link (like FINGER as
someone else suggested)

- Robert Munafo

1. http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/AsImplemented.html