 Robotics / RCX / 48
47  |  49
Subject:
rcxhttpd?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 06:56:32 GMT

(OK, I know this sounds perverse, but heck, some high-end printers these
days are coming with built-in webservers for configuration, so it's not
that perverse.)

Has anyone written an HTTP daemon for the RCX?  I mean a scaled-down version
of httpd actually running on the RCX brick itself.  Obviously, it couldn't
hold very many static pages, and it would need a dedicated IR link to a host
machine, but I wonder what sorts of things could be done?  Anything useful?

Could anything be accomplished more easily if there were an httpd right on
the RCX than if there were an httpd on a host connected to a non-httpd-
enabled RCX?

What if a host machine maintained a block of 8 IP addresses and talked to
8 separate RCX bricks, each running an httpd?  Then what could be done?

What about other TCP protocols?  Wouldn't it be fun to ftp or telnet to
your RCX brick?  (Just because you can?  :-)

--Todd