 People / 2454
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:44:03 GMT

In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek writes:
As far as Shiri's case goes, I think perhaps NELUG ought to have a "non
NELUG get together that just happens to have most of the NELUG gang
present", if they want to.(1) And if they don't... maybe they're not worthy
of Shiri's friendship?

Which is *almost* exactly what I was asking for. The only reason that's not
*exactly* what I asked for is because I already tried...

http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/ma/bos/?n=797

...And the fact is that fewer people read .ma.bos than .org.us.nelug. I got
no replies there, and only two by email from a few certain people I emailed
specifically. Also, since I *am* in the process of packing, studying, and a
zillion other things, my time is really tight and the only time I could
possibly do something is the week of july 31st. There is already a meeting
planned for that week, and I felt people will be reluctant to go to two
meetings in the same week. I thought it would just be simpler to ask them to
come to that one meeting.

<snip>
In fact why didn't Shiri ask this via email?

Because I would have no one to really email it to - I am not allowed to
participate in NELUG's email list. I *could* take a bunch of random people's
emails and stick them in the "to:" line... but I'd feel like I was spamming
people. Sorry.

Asking in public could be argued to be not particularly prudent since
it invites uninvolved third parties (like you and me, Paul, for that matter)
to put their oar in where it doesn't belong.

I was *not* trying to do that and I specifically mentioned I don't want to
reopen the debate about it.

Look, if NELUG refuses, I won't be heartbroken - I learned to expect very
little from the group. But I think it would not be *THAT* difficult to make
a tiny gesture my way. That's all. And it does upset me that people are
starting the insults both ways again. <sigh> It's NELUG's business, guys,
just let them be, OK, Paul, Jeremy? If they say yes, great, if no, then
(like I said) I'll shut up and never mention it again. (1) Larry is right in
the sense that no one can dictate their rules as a group.

-Shiri

(1) I won't *be* here. I'll start my own group in Israel, maybe. David,
Israel and I will make a great group, right folks? ;-)