 People / 2441
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:17:57 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

See, there's that funny word there:  respect.  I'm sure you have the same
level of respect for Shiri as you would for anyone else who wants to visit
-- oops, Shiri's just a child.  It's perfectly FINE to disrespect someone
strictly because they're under 18.  How obtuse of me.

No, it's not fine to be disrespectful of someone because they are younger than
18 years of age.  Unfortunately for the position you are trying to take, having
a policy that our group is only for people over the age of 18 isn't being
disrespectful to Shiri.  It's a choice we made.

You should try being more respectful of the way we choose to run our own
activities.

However, I'm sure you would agree that part of the maturing process is to
recognize when someone else is pointing out what, for all appearances, is a
stupid and arbitrary policy, enforced blindly and with a willful ignorance.

Yes.  I would respect someone for doing that.

That's not what you're doing, unfortunately.  You're choosing to throw insults
around over a policy that was decided on for good reason.  I won't bother going
into those reasons yet again- they are well documented in several threads on
Lugnet.  You can find them yourself, I'm sure.

This is the way we choose to run our club.  If you don't like it, fine.  But
there's no need at all for you to stoop to being disrespectful.  It's rather
immature, don't you think?

Maybe I'm alone in my opinion, maybe not.  But I choose this opinion, and I
choose to express it.  Deal with it.

You have the right to express your opinion, and I have the right to defend
myself and others in NELUG when we are referred to as "stupid" and "willfully
ignorant".

Deal with it.

eric