Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:54:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:

<SNIP>

And, for the record, it was Paul Sinasohn who referred to NELUG as "stupid" • in
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2436.  I also did not attribute *that*
statement to you.

<SNIP>

WRONG!!! WRONG!! WRONG!

In that post I said NELUG was BEING stupid. BIG difference, eric. Don't read
meanings into my statements that aren't there!!

I almost feel sorry for having to point this out, but there's little real
difference between saying someone "is stupid" and saying someone "is being
stupid".

If splitting hairs about it makes you feel better, be my guest, but it's • still
an egregious insult from someone who is all riled up about NELUG's inability • to
"play well" with others.

eric

FUT lugnet.org.us.nelug, the only group where debating NELUG's policies is • even
close to on-topic

Excuse me. I'm a technical communicator - I use words to convey exact meaning,
and I get paid very well to do so. If you study the complete meanings of the
two phrases, you'll find that they are different.

'is stupid' is FAR DIFFERENT than 'is being stupid'. The first is a condition,
the second is an action.

The first implies permanence of the condition, past and present. The second
implies a current situation which may or may not remain the same.

Yes.  As I acknowledged, there is a difference between the phrases.

But since either phrase is intended as an insult to a group of people, and very
closely related insults, at that, I am shocked that you would bother trying to
defend it so weakly.

As someone who claims to be concerned with people's ability to "play well" with
each other, you should be ashamed of yourself.

eric