Re: A one time thing?/community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:57:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
What is NELUG's rule reguarding visitors?  I saw no statement about this on
the NELUG website.   This is what I understand Shiri to be requesting, to be
a guest at one meeting in order to say goodbye to her local Lego community -
a closure of  sorts.  She did not request membership.

Must one be 18 to be a visitor/guest?   Could a child be brought to a
meeting by a parent who is not a NELUG member?  Or can one only be a
"invited" guest of a "sponsoring" NELUG member?   If this is the case, can
only individuals 18 and older be invited?

This is a good question.  What is our policy on guests?

Jonathan,

You are a relatively new member so I guess you might not have known about the
history and extent of the rule.

To clarify, guests must meet the rules for membership.  Therefore any guest
must be 18 years old or older.

Could we start a policy for guests where the guest has to be invited by a
member who is also attending the function.  This member would then be
responsible for that guest.  By having this policy, we would be able to
maintain the 18+ age rule and allow people under age attend certain meetings.

This has been discussed before and the answer is no.

The worst that can happen is that we don't like the guest and they don't get
invited next time.

Again we have discussed this but we are not going to put ourselves in the
position of judging people on a person by person basis.  Therefore the 18 and
over rule stands not to judge anyone for any arbitrary reasons, it is a hard
and fast rule that is not up for debate (within NELUG, LUGNETer's can debate it
all they want if they wish).

Also you will find that under age people might find us
to old and boring to hang out with.

That is a distinct posibility.

I too am a little surprise by this decision as well.  She wasn't asking to
join, just to attend one meeting.

I have explained to Sheree privately.  I can talk to you about this at our
meeting if you want more background but just let it stand that this is a no
exception policy.

Eric Kingsley

P.S.  It is my understanding that there is a private discussion going on
between Shiri and some NELUG members about having a non-NELUG get together.  I
am not personally involved in these discussions but once a date and time is
decided I have been told that someone that is involved will be making a post
informing others that wish to attend of the time and place for the get
together.