 People / 2446
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:09:56 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
recognize when someone else is pointing out what, for all appearances, is a
stupid and arbitrary policy, enforced blindly and with a willful ignorance.
That's not what you're doing, unfortunately.  You're choosing to throw insults
around over a policy that was decided on for good reason.

Insults...?  Okaaaay, hold that thought.

Sure.

I won't bother going
into those reasons yet again- they are well documented in several threads on
Lugnet.  You can find them yourself, I'm sure.

I found them.  (1)  I was quite surprised to read them, too.

You claim to dislike being a judge of people, and yet you are being a judge
in a fairly callous way IMHO.

Actually, no, we aren't.  We set an age limit and have decided to keep it.
That judges no one in any way.

As has been said before, to make an exception for Shiri would mean that we
were, essentially, judging anyone that came after her whom we chose to apply
the rule to, along with judging Shiri- both things which we have chosen to
refrain from doing.

Perhaps you could find better ways to limit
entry into such an exclusive club, that would help reduce the "legal
liability" problem even more.

If all you got out of reading those posts was the "legal liability" aspect, you
weren't reading very closely.  Even the post you referred to below states those
other reasons, and doesn't mention "legal liability" once.

<snip>

You have the right to express your opinion, and I have the right to defend
myself and others in NELUG when we are referred to as "stupid" and "willfully
ignorant".

Mmpf stuffing words in my mouth.  Tastes kinda like chicken.

I said that the policy appeared to be stupid and appears to be enforced with
willful ignorance.  I never said that the members of NELUG are stupid and
willfully ignorant.

Once again, you aren't reading very closely.  As much as you didn't say that
NELUG members were "willfully ignorant", I didn't claim that you *did* say they
were.  I simply stated that I would defend against such statements.

However, we both know that saying the policy is "enorced with willful
ignorance" is tantamount to saying that NELUG's members are willfully ignorant.
Who else would be enforcing NELUG's policies *but* it's members?  Being
disingenuous about your intent isn't going to make the assertion any less
obvious.

And, for the record, it was Paul Sinasohn who referred to NELUG as "stupid" in
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2436.  I also did not attribute *that*
statement to you.

Believe me, it isn't my intent to denigrate you or NELUG for your choice in
this matter, but I can hardly express my opinion of your treatment of Shiri
without doing so a little.

Unfortunately, despite your ardent assertions, NELUG isn't treating Shiri in
*any* way.  The policy was not created with her in mind.  It has nothing to do
with her personally.  Moreover, discussions of the policy have invariably been
started *by* Shiri.

And I don't mean to revive this pointless
debate, since I stand little chance to change your minds and a big chance of
pissing off Shiri.  But -- come on people!  I'm sure there are bigger things
for you to fret over than whether your group is too good for some people.

And here, once again without making a direct remark, you insult NELUG's
membership by asserting that the issue is NELUG's membership's ego.  It quite
simply has nothing to do with that.  Once again, a more careful reading of the
post you yourself referred to below would have enlightened you as to the real
issue (which, once again, is not one of legal liability).

1.  http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=785 among others, searched for
"NELUG minors"

eric