Re: A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:05:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shiri Dori writes:
Would anyone hate me if I crashed a single NELUG meeting?
Please LMK if you don't want me to come.

Since this request was made, there has been quite a bit of discussion
off-line about whether Shiri's attendance at our next NELUG meeting should
be allowed or not. As may be expected, making such decisions is never easy
nor quick, so let us apologize for not coming to a formal decision on this
sooner. But we did want to ensure that opinions were not overlooked and that
the matter was handled appropriately.

The final decision was made not to allow an exception to the NELUG
membership rules. There were several reasons that this decision was made,
but this was perhaps the most important of those reasons. The members of
NELUG felt that making exceptions to the rule depreciates the value and
undermines the purpose of having that rule.

This does not mean that NELUG (or any of its members) dislikes Shiri in any
way, nor that she was singled out as someone who specifically should not
attend meetings. It also does not mean that we dislike minors or that we
don't respect them.

What this means is merely that it goes against NELUG's rules, which are
there for particular reasons (and also not meant to disrespect nor disfavor
individuals or minors). This rule has been a part of NELUG since its
inception in 1999, and was also re-considered one year ago in July of 2000
(see http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=785), and we do not intend to
re-open the issue again.

We know that this decision will not please everyone, but we hope that you
can understand and respect our decision on the matter.

DaveE, on behalf of the New England Lego Users Group