 People / 2442
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:44:30 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
recognize when someone else is pointing out what, for all appearances, is a
stupid and arbitrary policy, enforced blindly and with a willful ignorance.
That's not what you're doing, unfortunately.  You're choosing to throw insults
around over a policy that was decided on for good reason.

Insults...?  Okaaaay, hold that thought.

I won't bother going
into those reasons yet again- they are well documented in several threads on
Lugnet.  You can find them yourself, I'm sure.

I found them.  (1)  I was quite surprised to read them, too.

You claim to dislike being a judge of people, and yet you are being a judge
in a fairly callous way IMHO.  Perhaps you could find better ways to limit
entry into such an exclusive club, that would help reduce the "legal
liability" problem even more.

You could ban people with certain health conditions, for example, so you
won't be liable for an ambulence call and all those pesky questions, if
someone were to fall ill suddenly.

Perhaps a ban on all persons with certain political affiliations so you
wouldn't be liable for the consequences of any violent pro-life/pro-choice
arguments that pop up.

I know, you can bar for life anyone who's even considered buying K'Nex or
MegaBlox.

These make more sense than barring entry to minors on the excuse that they
can't legally vote yet or because there are vague and murky guardianship issues.

You have the right to express your opinion, and I have the right to defend
myself and others in NELUG when we are referred to as "stupid" and "willfully
ignorant".

Mmpf stuffing words in my mouth.  Tastes kinda like chicken.

I said that the policy appeared to be stupid and appears to be enforced with
willful ignorance.  I never said that the members of NELUG are stupid and
willfully ignorant.  If that's insulting to you, fine.  I will make note of
the fact that you did find it insulting and disrespectful and somehow allows
you to put words into my mouth, and so I will use softer words for you if
you wish.

But when you attributed the personal insult to me, it was soooo tempting to
let it stay.

Believe me, it isn't my intent to denigrate you or NELUG for your choice in
this matter, but I can hardly express my opinion of your treatment of Shiri
without doing so a little.  And I don't mean to revive this pointless
debate, since I stand little chance to change your minds and a big chance of
pissing off Shiri.  But -- come on people!  I'm sure there are bigger things
for you to fret over than whether your group is too good for some people.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=785 among others, searched for
"NELUG minors"