Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:21:22 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:

In that post I said NELUG was BEING stupid. BIG difference, eric. Don't read
meanings into my statements that aren't there!!

I almost feel sorry for having to point this out, but there's little real
difference between saying someone "is stupid" and saying someone "is being
stupid".

Actually, there is a difference.  For instance, in disciplining your
child it is okay to point out that he or she did something stupid, but terribly
wrong to say that he or she IS stupid.  It seems obvious to me (although I am
not speaking for him) that Paul thinks the stand NELUG is taking is stupid.

My gut feeling is that there is probably some longstanding NELUG cultural
tradition that makes use of what seems to be y'all's favorite potent potable,
Guinness, and as such, it would be imprudent to allow minors into the meetings
(and I can understand how it might be impossible to say, okay, we'll have a dry
meeting this once, as that would cut into the spirit of the organization, even
if you don't necessarily imbibe at every meeting).  And BTW even if you deny
this is the case I will go on believing it to be so!  :-)

I do think it would be a nice gesture to Shiri if you could do what Larry
suggests and have a little get together of the FOL's in the area separate from
an official NELUG meeting.

Maggie C.