  A one time thing?

OK, I'll be blunt. Would anyone hate me if I crashed a single NELUG meeting? I've been trying to arrange something to see people for the last time before I move, but the only date I can make would be in the week of the 31st. You are already having a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) I don't think anyone would hate you (how could they?) but you might find yourself being politely turned away at the door by someone. But I can't speak for the group. (...) I believe it's against NELUG rules for under-18 folks to attend (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) If that does not pan out for you Shiri, you are welcome here in Ottawa or Montreal. Heck, we would try to schedule a meeting around you if possible. Jude MonLUG #5 ParLUGment #1 FUT a couple of Groups in the Great White North (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

Perosnally, I think that NELUG is being stupid by enforcing their under-18 rule with you. Of course, the way to get around it is to bring a parent or over-18 friend with you, and then you would come as their guest. You've shown (repeatedly) your (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Thanks for your flam- uh, I mean, thoughtful opinion. I'm sure we'll all learn and grow from it. eric (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) One would hope. Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) I'm sure you'd agree that part of that maturing process is being respectful of the way other people choose to do things, even if you don't agree with it. eric (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) See, there's that funny word there: respect. I'm sure you have the same level of respect for Shiri as you would for anyone else who wants to visit -- oops, Shiri's just a child. It's perfectly FINE to disrespect someone strictly because (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) No, it's not fine to be disrespectful of someone because they are younger than 18 years of age. Unfortunately for the position you are trying to take, having a policy that our group is only for people over the age of 18 isn't being (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Insults...? Okaaaay, hold that thought. (...) I found them. (1) I was quite surprised to read them, too. You claim to dislike being a judge of people, and yet you are being a judge in a fairly callous way IMHO. Perhaps you could find better (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) <snippage above> You aren't (entirely) alone in your opinion; I also happen to think that it's a pretty dumb policy *BUT* it's their policy, and their choice. IMHO, it's a bit hypocritical to call them disrespectful while not respecting their (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) learn (...) I doubt it. You've shown no ability to think, consider, or learn from anyone about this issue. Like Jeremy, I have an extremely low opinion of NELUG, and that will change only when I've seen evidence of an ability to PLAY WELL with (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

Jeremy, For a guy who says he doesn't mean to revive this pointless debate, you're talking a lot about it. Now. saying nothing about any debate, I'll simply state that as a NELUG member, I find your spouting off in our general direction offensive. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) snip of a few suggestions, including a scandalous misspelling of "MEGA BLOKS" (...) In the previous discussion I was one of the people who (as an outsider) felt that the group was making an unfortunate choice in barring Shiri from meetings, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

It just wouldn't be me if I didn't interject myself uninvited into the conversation. While I whole heartedly agree with Jeremy concerning the short sitedness of a policy that blindly and uniformly excludes people based on age, inspite of talent. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Sure. (...) Actually, no, we aren't. We set an age limit and have decided to keep it. That judges no one in any way. As has been said before, to make an exception for Shiri would mean that we were, essentially, judging anyone that came after (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) You should- it was sarcasm, meant to point out that your statement was neither thoughtful nor necessary. (...) You are confusing the fact that I haven't seen a reason to change my opinion with the above. (...) Which you are entitled to. But (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes: <SNIP> (...) <SNIP> WRONG!!! WRONG!! WRONG! In that post I said NELUG was BEING stupid. BIG difference, eric. Don't read meanings into my statements that aren't there!! Paul Sinasohn speaking for myself (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) I almost feel sorry for having to point this out, but there's little real difference between saying someone "is stupid" and saying someone "is being stupid". If splitting hairs about it makes you feel better, be my guest, but it's still an (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Why is this being reopened again? NELUG has chosen to make rules the way they see fit, a democratic process validated those rules and I think it's rather immature of YOU to buck against a club somewhere else and the way they organize. I have a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) Speaking as a 'member' of what is probably the most low-key non-organized "group" in the world, I hope they give you a chance to drop in this one time. (And what's up with the flames farther down this thread? Can't we all be nice, people?) I (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) in (...) still (...) to (...) even (...) Excuse me. I'm a technical communicator - I use words to convey exact meaning, and I get paid very well to do so. If you study the complete meanings of the two phrases, you'll find that they are (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

People: Y'know, it just doesn't matter if Shiri makes it to a Nelug meeting or not. She has asked, it is up to NELUG to decide how far along the continuum of absurdity they wish to take their under 18 yrs. prohibition. I feel sure that I am not (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Actually, there is a difference. For instance, in disciplining your child it is okay to point out that he or she did something stupid, but terribly wrong to say that he or she IS stupid. It seems obvious to me (although I am not speaking for (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) I think it comes up again because most of us outsiders are just aghast that Shiri isn't already some kind of honored and permanent fixture of the NELUG clubhouse. May I recommend using crazy glue on her sneekers...? =oP -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) I think it also comes up because AFAIK, they're the only club that has any kind of membership restriction, and it is very baffling to many of us why it would exist. *BUT* again, it's their policy, and their choice. I can respect their opinion (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Which is *almost* exactly what I was asking for. The only reason that's not *exactly* what I asked for is because I already tried... (URL) the fact is that fewer people read .ma.bos than .org.us.nelug. I got no replies there, and only two by (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Yeh, I belong to that club! I hope her move to Isreal won't keep her from posting. No offense to others, but it gets a little boring without her. (...) You tell em! (...) You can belong to my club, Hop-Frog... The club of nonjoining club (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) [WHACK] (...) "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have somebody like me in it as a member." Who said it? John C. (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Actually, the drinking age in all the USA is now 21, so that can't be the reason. I was guessing the real reason had to do with pornographic Lego models. :-) /Eric McC/ (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) May I ask why the drinking age in the US is 21? Do any other rights/privileges accrue at that age, or is everything else 16/18+? Or is alcohol thought to be such a dangerous drug that it shouldn't be used while someone is still in their teens? (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Yes. As I acknowledged, there is a difference between the phrases. But since either phrase is intended as an insult to a group of people, and very closely related insults, at that, I am shocked that you would bother trying to defend it so (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) Since this request was made, there has been quite a bit of discussion off-line about whether Shiri's attendance at our next NELUG meeting should be allowed or not. As may be expected, making such decisions is never easy nor quick, so let us (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) I agree with those who think this whole conversation (at least where it has degenerated into rudeness) is silly. Shiri, why don't you just go and tell them that you're 18? Just admit that you were held back a grade in school and you've been (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) Well, all I can say, after having met Shiri at Brickfest 2000 and 2001, is that it is your loss. Jeff (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) What is NELUG's rule reguarding visitors? I saw no statement about this on the NELUG website. This is what I understand Shiri to be requesting, to be a guest at one meeting in order to say goodbye to her local Lego community - a closure of (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) This is a good question. What is our policy on guests? Could we start a policy for guests where the guest has to be invited by a member who is also attending the function. This member would then be responsible for that guest. By having this (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?

(...) Considering the special circumstances and that Shiri is an integral part of this virtual community and your geographic community, why not hold a special function in a public locale and not attach the moniker of NELUG to it in any way, shape or (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) Jonathan, You are a relatively new member so I guess you might not have known about the history and extent of the rule. To clarify, guests must meet the rules for membership. Therefore any guest must be 18 years old or older. (...) This has (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) I just wanted to clarify: this issue *is* up for debate. Anyone can discuss this issue. Whether or not NELUG policy will see reform is also up for debate. Whether or not the policies of other LUGs see this rule is up for discussion. Any effort (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) Why follow this up to off-topic.debate? It's actually off-topic for the .off-topic groups, whereas it's on-topic for lugnet.org.us.nelug. Just because you're debating something, don't knee-jerk assume it should go to the off-topic groups... At (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)