 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14430
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:53:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ted Michon wrote:
I complained to TLC when LEGO Creator came out that it was infuriatingly not
useful. Why can't we select, copy, paste, shift+click, ctl+click, etc like

I understand why Lego Creator/LDD/whatever has a different interface, same as
why I understand the Mindstorms interface is the way it is versus similar to a
regular IDE like VisualStudio (eg BricXCC).  When I see kids use the Mindstorms
"block UI" at FLL events, it makes instant sense.  It's for kids, and it's a
different model than what we're used to as professionals, that's fine.

I get that the LDD interface is simplified and works a certain way.  It's sparse
with text:  There's an internationalization bent with it, sort of like reading
Ikea assembly instructions.

My complaint is that LDD is hard to use from a raw "placing the bricks"
standpoint.  There seems to be an implied XY AND Z control using an XY only
device.  There should be a way to control that third axes without resorting to
using perspective or proximity to other bricks.

At the opening of LLCA, I spoke with the guy in charge of CAD development who
assured me they were addressing these problems in Creator II.

Fast forward 6 years.

Well, you did you expect jumping the development queue based on a chat from a
member of the general public at an amusement park? :) It's not like the public
has a direct path to Priority 1, Severity 0-type bugs.  In most R&D shops, UI
changes get the "Priority 5, Customer Suggestion" (aka trash bin) type of bugs
that get swept aside when push comes to shove.

It's irritating but I'm not sure it'll ever get dealt with.

Calum