 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14415
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:29:58 GMT

[Am I the only person]...

   Nope. I tried for a while to use some when I was teaching a LEGO robotics
course for kids. I thought it would be nice to have some directions for them
initally. Forget it - it was just too much trouble. I ended up building robots
and then disassembling them 2-3 steps at a time and using a DSLR.
   This is not to say that the existing LCAD systems are poor. To the contrary!
But when it comes right down to it, I like building with real bricks. Not only
is it faster, but the end product isn't a document, it's "the real thing".

Hell, I could have driven to Walmart, bought a bucket
of Lego, drove back, built the house, and have eighteen
photos shot with my DSLR and up on Brickshelf by now.  :)

   Absolutely. And for any of the robotics stuff, well... build a working
mechanism (i.e. - play) and photodocument, or fight with a CAD system to get a
non-physical representation of it right only *after* I've built the "real thing"
anyway. No contest. I'm really really REALLY glad there are folks doing this,
and doing it so well, but for me it doesn't add anything to the experience.

--
Brian Davis