 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14435
Re: Reasons to L-CAD (was: Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:35:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford wrote:

On the topic of Lego CAD systems (not LDD, but LDraw and derivatives), I've
never understood the point of them.  About the only things I figured they were
good for was a) making instructions and b) prototyping things you didn't have
the parts for.

c) documenting a MOC you want to disassemble (eg:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133582). That is what I mainly
use it for, although I have used it for a) as well.

d) illustrating building techniques (sorry, no example handy).
With L-CAD
models, you can more easily show your point by:
- creating 'cutaway' models, showing only the parts involved in the technique
being discussed.  In some programs, you can literally create cut-away views.
- using unreal colors to highlight the important bits
- using schematic art instead of photographs for clarity.

Here's one example, (of many on BrickWiki and elsewhere) where a photo would not
be nearly as good, as false colors and schematics really drive the point home.

http://brickwiki.zapto.org/index.php/SNIR_techniques

This sort of illustrating has been used to good effect in presentations
(BrickFest, the ILTCO library, etc) as well.

I think comparing LDD and MLCad (and other LDraw compatible editors) usability
wise does a great disservice to the LDraw editors, which in my view are far
easier to use than LDD.