 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14426
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:08:23 GMT

Seriously?  I've never gotten the hang of any Lego CAD system, including LDD,
MLCAD etc...

Calum-

I'm with you 100%.

I complained to TLC when LEGO Creator came out that it was infuriatingly not
useful. Why can't we select, copy, paste, shift+click, ctl+click, etc like most
other PC and Mac graphics and CAD applications? Why do they have to reinvent the
wheel and make a totally new paradigm for us to learn/discover? Why isn't there
a menu with File, Edit, View, Help, etc. and a spreadsheet view where I can
change values by numbers or dropdown lists? Why can't I click on major elements
in a simplified parts palette like "brick", or "plate", or "tile" and then dial
in the width, length, height, and color?

At the opening of LLCA, I spoke with the guy in charge of CAD development who
assured me they were addressing these problems in Creator II.

Fast forward 6 years.

Now we have LDD and it's not getting any easier. They are following the
Microsoft/rest-of-world software development scheme which is to always add
features without fixing the basics. Drives me nuts!

-Ted