 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14506
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:55:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Don Heyse wrote:

FYI while the committees don't produce the programs, they do provide a
vehicle for the developers to accumulate and share ideas.  The file
format is perhaps the most visible product of this.  Without the
organization, none of the programs would be able to share their data.
It's not a perfect process, but it's better than anarchy.  Oh wait,
perhaps you prefer anarchy?  Is your own private CTCAD program almost
finished?  I can't wait to see the pictures.  It must be really good.

I think you're missing the point of the original post:  All this LDraw talk has
produced nothing to effect change on the user interface of the actual software
programs which I (and several others now) have difficulty with.

If you really wish to bring the argument of whether I prefer anarchy or
commmittee, anarchy seems to do just as well as committee when it comes to
building better UIs in this product category.  I could take six feral children
and give them a the Forms Editor in Visual Studio.  They spend an hour making
random interface designs.  That's still a lot better than anything the committee
came up with.

And therein lies the rub: You can't product manage volunteer
developers, especially not in something most don't really prioritize
or understand (user interface) well anyways.

Hmm, is that the problem?  You're angry because you (with your valuable
expertise) are not a member of some committee?  If so, you should have
nominated yourself.  Or better yet, start your own usability committee,
then develop your own program, and show us the results of your genius.

No, I think you're putting words in my mouth.  I have no desire to part of a
committee and I don't think making a committee would help.  That's what I'm
saying:  Committees in general don't help with the usability of free software,
and they usually can't control feature sets either.

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere.  Larry is on committee and you dislike
him.  It's back to kindergarten again.  Why don't you take your "lack of
respect" somewhere else.  We know what this is really all about.
Am I wrong?  Prove it by dropping the whining tone and the disrespect
nonsense and tell us something we don't know.

No, as much as I dislike Larry, this one isn't about him.  All I'm saying is
LDraw is hard to use and no amount of committees are gonna help.

PS.  If anyone *really* wants to talk about usability, there are plenty
of ideas to start with here:

  http://karimnassar.com/design/products/artemis2000.pdf

That's a really nice high level specification.  Was that the product of the
LDraw working groups/committees?

Calum