 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14434
14433  |  14435
Subject:
Reasons to L-CAD (was: Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:25:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford wrote:

On the topic of Lego CAD systems (not LDD, but LDraw and derivatives), I've
never understood the point of them.  About the only things I figured they were
good for was a) making instructions and b) prototyping things you didn't have
the parts for.

c) documenting a MOC you want to disassemble (eg:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133582). That is what I mainly
use it for, although I have used it for a) as well.

d) illustrating building techniques (sorry, no example handy).  With L-CAD
models, you can more easily show your point by:
- creating 'cutaway' models, showing only the parts involved in the technique
being discussed.  In some programs, you can literally create cut-away views.
- using unreal colors to highlight the important bits
- using schematic art instead of photographs for clarity.

Steve