 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14447
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richie Dulin wrote:

It’s easy to mock the 'administrivia and committees'. Doing so mocks the people
who serve on the committees, the people who establish them, the people who vote
for or appoint them, the people who support them, and the work that they do.

Yes and?

It’s easy to imply that the 'administrivia and committees' get in the way of
improving functionality. I would ask, can that argument be turned on its
head? Is it possible that the lack of appreciation of the importance of
'administrivia' and lack of support for the committees is poisoning the
atmosphere and driving people who might meaningfully contribute away, in turn
delaying the development of the basic usability?

Listen, any rtlToronto member will clearly tell you I'm the most administrative
of anyone here.  I administrate for a living.    I just came home from a 10 hour
stretch of administrating. :)  So don't get me wrong, I believe in
administration as much as anyone.  I just don't believe your typical online fan
enthusiast organization needs these committees as much as they think they do.

But I'll say up front, my lack of respect for these committees ain't keeping
them from effectively building more usable tools.    That's because those
committees have zero power in actually making the tools any better:  It's up to
the actual program authors to do such a thing.  Unless those committees can
direct developers to make direct changes (eg, direct pipe to the development
channel) to user interface, anything else is just putting "lipstick on the pig"
(eg, tutorials, as helpful as they are).

Frankly, if I had spent years writing "CTCAD" or "CDraw", the last thing I would
do was to agree to implement anything the LDraw Committee of Something or Other
"voted" me to do.  And therein lies the rub:  You can't product manage volunteer
developers, especially not in something most don't really prioritize or
understand (user interface) well anyways.

I can only point the last three news items on the LDraw.org website news sidebar
as a hint as to what's I think they do on these committees.

· 2005 LSC: Voting Now Open  (Jul 12, 2005)
· LDraw.org Steering Committee Election 2005 Now Open (Mar 01, 2005)
· List of authors who have not yet affirmed the CA (Jan 12, 2005)

Or how about the list archives?

# [LdrawMembers] 2005 LDraw.org Steering Committee election is now open   larry.pieniazek at ascentialsoftware.com
# [LdrawMembers] 2005 Steering Committee Election Results   Orion Pobursky
# [LdrawMembers] Call for Nominations: 2005 LDraw.org Steering Committee   Orion Pobursky
# [LdrawMembers] LDraw.org Contributer Agreement Affirmation   Orion Pobursky
[LdrawMembers] The LDraw.org Contributor Agreement   Orion Pobursky
# [LdrawMembers] LDraw Parts Update Page Edits   Jedi
# [LdrawMembers] LDraw Parts Update Page Edits   Tim Courtney
# [LdrawMembers] 2003-2004 LSC Annual Report   Orion Pobursky
# [LdrawMembers] Ldraw.Org Standards Committee election now open.   larry.pieniazek at ascentialsoftware.com
# [LdrawMembers] Ldraw.Org Standards Committee election now open.   Troy's Surplus Lego
# [LdrawMembers] Ldraw.Org Standards Committee election now open.   Tim Courtney

Maybe I'm missing something.

Prove me wrong, tell me what happens on these committees that contributes to
actual usability of the modelling interface (eg, what this thread was originally
about)

Calum