 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14418
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:24:21 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
Seriously?  I've never gotten the hang of any Lego CAD system, including LDD,
MLCAD etc...I can't figure out how to do depth control with LDD for example.
I've spent the last fifteen minutes trying to make bricks stick to the virtual
baseplate...I can't seem to make the bricks "push in" such that they don't stick
in the middle of the air.  They either sit away from where I want them to be, or
they misbehave and show up one or two brick spaces in the air.  And this is not
to say I haven't used CAD systems before...it's just all Lego CAD systems don't
seem to fit with my mental model of how to place bricks around.

I was so eager to try out LDD/Lego Factory ever since I started listening to the
BrickFest introduction...it's such a cool idea.  But using the tool is
exasperating!

In the same time in building this house, I could have built my little virtual
house with real bricks.  Hell, I could have driven to Walmart, bought a bucket
of Lego, drove back, built the house, and have eighteen photos shot with my DSLR
and up on Brickshelf by now.  :)

Calum

your right,

i've tried several times to line up those weird and rare lego bricks.

I only have a few of these weird bricks in my collection, so they MUST
be VERY RARE. (1)

I mean when i tried to line up the studs to the hole in the next
brick... it just would not work.

OH sure it looks good on plane x, but add that Y and Z, and now its the
MAGIC FLOATING MOC.

i am SO GLAD for all the work that people are doing. Im sad to say
CADing lego is not a skill i have. and the learning curve is to steep
for me.

Chris

1. http://media.peeron.com/ldraw/images/4/3x/3001.png