 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14440
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:24:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I stand by what I say, LDD is in my view harder to use, by far, than any of the
LDraw editors, at least for adults, and to equate them gives short shrift to the
LDraw editor programs.

I can't honestly say they're THAT much better.  I've had equal frustration with
both the LDraw editors AND LDD. They're broken in different ways.

There's been a lot of effort made to repackage the LDraw tools to make them
easier to install, to create tutorials, to add arcane new features.  And of
course, as with any Lego AFOL operation, a good heap of administrivia and
committees.  But none of it I've seen actually has helped the basic usability of
these tools.

If they are ever to capture more than the cult following of users, they'll need
a true UCD analysis and with usability testing.  They'll also need to be
directed by a set of goals dictated outside of the usual base of users.  Alas,
I've never seen a piece of FOSS actually have that done.  As a result, the
systems will continue to infuriate casual users like me.

Calum