 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14431
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:28:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian Davis wrote:

But when it comes right down to it, I like building with real bricks. Not only
is it faster, but the end product isn't a document, it's "the real thing".

anyway. No contest. I'm really really REALLY glad there are folks doing this,
and doing it so well, but for me it doesn't add anything to the experience.

Phew.  I was getting worried.

On the topic of Lego CAD systems (not LDD, but LDraw and derivatives), I've
never understood the point of them.  About the only things I figured they were
good for was a) making instructions and b) prototyping things you didn't have
the parts for.

For a) I'm always astounded by the quality of instructions people make for
custom sets.  Though the custom sets sometimes aren't that fantastic (and a bit
arrogant :) but the instructions are always really cool.  As for b) guys like
James Mathis always impress me with the stuff they come up with on LDraw.

Like you, I couldn't see why you just couldn't end up with the real product
faster by building the actual bricks yourself.

Calum