 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14455
Re: Am I the only person who finds Lego CAD systems infuriating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:31:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

So,

  I had this HUGE rebuttal to Don's post, and I swear the commuter
crashed just before I hit send.  I took it as a sign that it was TOO
HARSH.  so I'm going to summarize it with this:

----snip-----

Don,

  When you are done servicing larry, why dont you get off your knees and
learn to use a lugnet filter so that you dont have to read this
newsgroup anymore.

Chris

Don Heyse wrote:
You know, I've been watching this thread for a while now, hoping
some useful ideas might pop out of it, but I'm really having my
doubts now.

But I'll say up front, my lack of respect for these committees ain't
keeping them from effectively building more usable tools.  That's
because those committees have zero power in actually making the
tools any better: It's up to the actual program authors to do such a
thing.  Unless those committees can direct developers to make direct
changes (eg, direct pipe to the development channel) to user
interface, anything else is just putting "lipstick on the pig" (eg,
tutorials, as helpful as they are).

FYI while the committees don't produce the programs, they do provide a
vehicle for the developers to accumulate and share ideas.  The file
format is perhaps the most visible product of this.  Without the
organization, none of the programs would be able to share their data.
It's not a perfect process, but it's better than anarchy.  Oh wait,
perhaps you prefer anarchy?  Is your own private CTCAD program almost
finished?  I can't wait to see the pictures.  It must be really good.

Frankly, if I had spent years writing "CTCAD" or "CDraw", the last
thing I would do was to agree to implement anything the LDraw
Committee of Something or Other "voted" me to do.

Hey now, just because *you're* a selfish, egotistical asshole doesn't
mean everyone else is.  Why not contribute something useful, or do
everyone a favor and just go away.  Go pee in your own pool.  And I
don't mean here, because we can still see you.

And therein lies the rub: You can't product manage volunteer
developers, especially not in something most don't really prioritize
or understand (user interface) well anyways.

Hmm, is that the problem?  You're angry because you (with your valuable
expertise) are not a member of some committee?  If so, you should have
nominated yourself.  Or better yet, start your own usability committee,
then develop your own program, and show us the results of your genius.

Or how about the list archives?

# [LdrawMembers] 2005 LDraw.org Steering Committee election is now open
larry.pieniazek at ascentialsoftware.com

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere.  Larry is on committee and you dislike
him.  It's back to kindergarten again.  Why don't you take your "lack of
respect" somewhere else.  We know what this is really all about.

Am I wrong?  Prove it by dropping the whining tone and the disrespect
nonsense and tell us something we don't know.

Don

PS.  If anyone *really* wants to talk about usability, there are plenty
of ideas to start with here:

  http://karimnassar.com/design/products/artemis2000.pdf

Just take it to the cad newsgroup.  This place smells like a toilet.