 Off-Topic / Debate / 4253
  Quiet in here

Well, there's one good thing about the new lugnet.admin.council group -- nobody has to come in here to argue... Steve (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Zing. Ouch. So, how about McCain's upset of Dubya yesterday in the MI primary? Jo and I did our bit (Hey, it's an open primary so natch I voted in the race that made a difference) to stop the Dubya train. That man is all hat and no cattle... (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Hmm.. another reason to have a CLOSED Republican primary. Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> (URL) Page -> (URL) Page -> (URL) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Like that's going to stop me. I'll just register republican. It's not like you have to sign an oath or anything. I used to switch registrations in NY all the time so I could vote in the D primary. I still have my republican membership card (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) I like McCain, but I doubt he'll win, not with the entire party establishment lined up against him. :/ (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) I think his chances are much better after last night. It would be a real shame for the republican party if Bush wins. Gore would likely beat Bush in the general election. I don't think Gore would have a prayer against McCain. KL (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) That's interesting, Larry. Why do you that? (...) I like Mccain in some points, I don't like him in others. I do think letting people, mostly independents and Democrats voting in a Republican primary is kind of weird, however. Especially when (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Come on guys, it's time to put the thinking caps on! Do you really think Democrats would cross over and vote for McCain if he had a chance of beating their man. And why would a man running for the Republican nomination abandon everything that (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Because with a rigged ersatz 2 party system, it's sometimes the only time I get to influence the decision. Influencing who the nominee is may have a bigger impact than voting in the general. In NY especially, I lived in heavily democratic (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  No Longer Quite So Quiet in here

(...) I'm still convinced that Republicans were responsible for Fieger being the Democratic candidate for Governor. He was about the only person available who polarized people more than Engler. Had I been in Michigan, I would have gone to the (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) What if McCain is "their man?" Just because someone wins the Democratic primary doesn't mean that all Democrats will vote for that person. You'd be surprised. (...) That's not why McCain is acting like that. He's doing it to get votes, (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

"Bill Farkas" <kfar@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:FqF0zx.9B@lugnet.com... (...) beating (...) abandon (...) doesn't (...) intention (...) Gump (...) without (...) like (...) to a (...) goods on (...) I would say the Republican primary race at (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

To All, and Lindsay in particular, I am getting really tired of getting labeled as an extremist, a nut, etc. just because I don't worship leftist policies. Just because I have religious convictions, and that I am conservative, I seem to be (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No Longer Quite So Quiet in here

(...) Sorry, Bauer endorsed McCain. Bill (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) All this talk about right-wing fringe groups, what about the far more radical left-wing fringe groups: feminists, homosexuals, environmentalists, etc. Environmentalists have carried out numerous acts of violence against HUMAN BEINGS for the (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

Bill, (...) Nicely said, Bill. There seems to be a lot of bias around here for right wing people. Not diverse enough, I guess. Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> (URL) Page -> (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No Longer Quite So Quiet in here

(...) This immediately reminds me of the Tom Lehrer album which he recorded live in San Francisco where at one point, he's talking about how great Massachusetts is, and says "after all, Massachusetts has three senators"... (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Hmm... well, the system is rigged, but like most things, outside of revolution, or a major economic upheaval, I don't think much will change. I just hope the leftists are kept at bay. I would never mess with any other party's primary or (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) The latest big poll showed McCain ahead 24 points vs Gore, with Bush only ahead 5 pointes vs Gore. I think McCain could beat Gore if he got the nomination, which he won't. (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Well, there are organizations. What was that web site that posted a "most wanted list". There have also been highly visible personalities whoi have come pretty close to endorsing clinic bombing. Then there's all the folks who seem to think (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) The author of The Declaration of American Independence and the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom. (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

Frank, (...) Oh, I thought you were talking about someone here on Lugnet. My fault. Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> (URL) Page -> (URL) Page -> (URL) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Just being a homosexual or an environmentalist makes you a left wing fringe group??? Surely you didn't mean that. I'm an environmentalist, I recycle, I give scads of cash to the Nature Conservancy, and I try to buy green whenever it makes (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

Larry, (...) No, I think what Bill is saying is that there are many nuts, on both sides, through a variety of causes, and the like. But there is a significant bias towards the right wing religious groups, some justified, most not. You do not see the (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No Longer Quite So Quiet in here

(...) Really? They must have misreported it here (not surprising, considering how confused NJ media are). But is Reed working for the Bush campaign? I recall seeing that mention in the Times. I stand corrected. best Lindsay (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) If I remember correctly, the California primaries are simultaneous -- every candidate for every party is run on the same ballot. So potential sabateours (sp?) have to choose between knocking down the opposing party, and building up their own (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Yes and no. We can vote for any candidate for any party, but only votes from party members count towards the delegates. Anyone who wants to have their vote for McCain (or Bush) actually mean something had better register as a Republican. Bruce (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) up (...) the (...) the (...) vote (...) I've never registered under a party, btw--is that registration permanent (unless voluntarily changed), or does it have to be reinstated each election term? Or does that vary from state to state? (I know (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) In California, you remain a member of your party until you re-register. I don't know if it varies from state to state, it probably can, but I don't know if it actually does. California is a winner-take-all state: you win by one vote, you get (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

There's a Mugwump party? What's their platform? :-) Yahoo came up dry when I searched on Mugwump... (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Well, speaking as a veteran, I'd rather have someone in office who knows firsthand what the real consequences of armchair warfare are for real soliders. I'd value the leadership that a retired general could bring to the office but I'd also (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) radical (...) No more than you meant that anyone religious is a right wing extremist. The problem in this matter is that only the outrageous get the attention and taint the entire issue. (...) Morality tanscends the state. It's not just a (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Oh, I almost forgot...You honestly don't think Al Gump is pandering?! IMO, he is pandering more than anyone. Now, he's playing the race card, again. That's not pandering?! How 'bout a guy, who in local politics was pro-life and fervently so; (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) I would say Al is pandering so much as lying. Al was one of my senators. He's not a Tennessean, though. I'm more of a Tennessean than he is, and I wasn't even born here. (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> Being a third worlder, I follow this "Foofoo is better than Blahblah" kind of debates between you, USians, that consider politicians with a kind of amaze..:-) Here in our country things are very clear and (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) Well, most Americans believe that as well, but some of us have foolish optimism every now and then! : ) Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> (URL) Page -> (URL) Page -> (URL) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) In response to both of you I would say that the pessimism should not be expected and that the optimism is not foolish. Our "system" is very unique here. The "system" is great, the current bunch who occupy it may not be. Yet I still have faith (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

Bill, (...) Bill, I was just throwing a mild jest at Selçuk, I am a pessimist anyway, but I have run into so many people that have this attitude, it is hard sometimes, especially when you dabble in politics as much as I do. (...) I agree! : ) I have (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) In Texas, the system is very simple. There is no "register under a party." You just register to vote, period. The registration is good for two years and automatically renews. You can register by mail, by picking up and filling a simple form (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) and (...) Idunno if they actually went by that name or if that was what everyone called them. It refers to fence-sitting on issues: their "mug" was on one side of the fence, and their "wump" on the other. In any case, I was a registered (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

(...) the (...) Found this: mugwump from Algonquin 'chief' In US political history, a colloquial name for the reform Republicans who voted in the 1884 presidential election for Grover Cleveland, the Democratic candidate, rather than for the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quiet in here

In Oregon you have to declare your political party when you register... Greenback is still a recognized party, even if it puts "Independant" on my Oregon Voter's card. -The Cheese (...) the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)