 Off-Topic / Debate / 4278
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:15:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William A. Swanberg wrote:

I would say the Republican primary race at this point is still up in the
air, *provided* that McCain can take California (and who can predict how
they'll vote???).

If I remember correctly, the California primaries are simultaneous -- every
candidate for every party is run on the same ballot.  So potential sabateours
(sp?) have to choose between knocking down the opposing party, and building up
their own guy.  I think this will work to the advantage of McCain -- since the
Democrat race is more clear-cut, the Demo's have more free-reign to crossover
and vote McCain.  The Republican race is closer, so Rep's need to vote for the
guy they actually want to win their party's primary.

You know that George W. will take Texas, which means that
McCain will *have* to take California, and New York or Illinois (or both) in
order to win at the convention.  Anything else (including Michigan, Larry,
sorry) is just frosting.

Nah, if McCain had *lost* Michigan, it would have been the beginning of the end
for him.  Winning Michigan lets him keep the mantle of a serious candidate.

Of course, McCain starts off in a hole, compounded by the fact that he's
from a state with few electoral votes (too bad cacti can't vote, McCain
would be a shoo-in), whereas George W. already has one of the "big 4" in his
pocket.

Sucks to be honest.  Well, more honest.

Naturally, as a current soldier/former veteran, I would like to see McCain
win the nomination.  It's been too long since there was a vet at 1600
Pennsylvania.

Personally, I don't see what advantage there is to having a Pres. who's main
claim to veteran fame is that he was a POW.  I'd rather elect a retired general
-- at least, we'd know he can lead.

(And don't get me started on slick Willy's latest pay "raise"
for the military, we must be the only people on Earth that get a 5% raise
and end up with less money...soldiers on food stamps...it makes me sick to
my stomach.)

That is bad.  And inefficient.

Steve