 Off-Topic / Debate / 4283
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:38:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  I've never registered under a party, btw--is that registration
  permanent (unless voluntarily changed), or does it have to be
  reinstated each election term? Or does that vary from state to state?
  (I know the method for assigning delegates varies; for example,
  McCain got all 30 from Arizona, but the overall win in MI only
  guaranteed the 10 at-large delegates to McCain--the others are
  done by district.  How does CA do it?)  Perhaps someone with
  more US-poli-sci savvy than I can explain it.

In California, you remain a member of your party until you re-register.  I
don't know if it varies from state to state, it probably can, but I don't know
if it actually does.  California is a winner-take-all state: you win by one
vote, you get ALL the delegates.  One huge block vote.

  Of course, I could be all wrong in my understanding of how the
  Republican Party handles the process.  One thing's for certain:
  It doesn't appear nearly as loaded for the "favourite son" the
  way the Democrats' process does.  That bodes well for McCain,
  so I'm happy about it.

Favorite sons have largely died out.  They only meant something when there were
brokered conventions - it's all pretty much cut and dried by the time the
national conventions roll around.

Bruce
(sometimes Democrat, Green, Libertarian, Mugwump, Free Silver, Bullmoose, and
Whig, but never Nazi, Communist, or Republican) ;-)

  Bullmoose!  Trivia check:  Doesn't a current party run under the
  Bull Moose banner...?  Are there still technically "progressives?"
  I'm still trying to keep the various workers' parties straight...
  Free Silver, I haven't heard them brought up in ages.

  best

Bullmooses are back?  That was Teddy Roosevelt's party.  I forget what Free
Silver was about - I only remember them because of the Wizard of Oz (Dorothy's
Silver Slippers were a dig at the Free Silver party).

Bruce