 Off-Topic / Debate / 4264
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:06:58 GMT

"Bill Farkas" <kfar@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:FqF0zx.9B@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Loch writes:

So, how about McCain's upset of Dubya yesterday in the MI primary? Jo
and I did our bit (Hey, it's an open primary so natch I voted in the
race that made a difference) to stop the Dubya train.

I like McCain, but I doubt he'll win, not with the entire party
establishment lined up against him.  :/

I think his chances are much better after last night.
It would be a real shame for the republican party if Bush wins.
Gore would likely beat Bush in the general election.  I don't think
Gore would have a prayer against McCain.

KL

Come on guys, it's time to put the thinking caps on! Do you really think
Democrats would cross over and vote for McCain if he had a chance of • beating
their man. And why would a man running for the Republican nomination • abandon
everything that party believes in to get votes from the other party! It • doesn't
make sense. Democrats are voting for McCain in the primaries with NO • intention
of voting for him in November precisely because they want to foul up the
process because they don't want to run against Bush. They know that Al • Gump
can't beat him. McCain is NOT going to get the Republican nomination • without
Republican votes in the primaries, and he can't get them if he sounds more • like
a Democrat than a Republican. Puh-lease. When has the media ever sucked up • to a
Republican, that alone should make you do a double-take. Democrats and the
media (same thing) want to run against McCain because they've got the • goods on
him and would crucify him IF he got the nomination - which he can't.

Bill

I would say the Republican primary race at this point is still up in the
air, *provided* that McCain can take California (and who can predict how
they'll vote???).  You know that George W. will take Texas, which means that
McCain will *have* to take California, and New York or Illinois (or both) in
order to win at the convention.  Anything else (including Michigan, Larry,
sorry) is just frosting.

Of course, McCain starts off in a hole, compounded by the fact that he's
from a state with few electoral votes (too bad cacti can't vote, McCain
would be a shoo-in), whereas George W. already has one of the "big 4" in his
pocket.

Naturally, as a current soldier/former veteran, I would like to see McCain
win the nomination.  It's been too long since there was a vet at 1600
Pennsylvania.  (And don't get me started on slick Willy's latest pay "raise"
for the military, we must be the only people on Earth that get a 5% raise
and end up with less money...soldiers on food stamps...it makes me sick to
my stomach.)  The only thing that really worries me about McCain is his
short fuze.  Our foreign policy is already in the dumpster, a man in the
White House with a temper could send it straight to the landfill.

The above views are my own only, and in no way represent neither the United
States Army nor the Department of Defense.
(There, now I won't go to jail...)

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC