 Off-Topic / Debate / 4281
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:15:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William A. Swanberg wrote:

I would say the Republican primary race at this point is still up in the
air, *provided* that McCain can take California (and who can predict how
they'll vote???).

If I remember correctly, the California primaries are simultaneous -- every
candidate for every party is run on the same ballot.  So potential sabateours
(sp?) have to choose between knocking down the opposing party, and building up
their own guy.  I think this will work to the advantage of McCain -- since the
Democrat race is more clear-cut, the Demo's have more free-reign to crossover
and vote McCain.  The Republican race is closer, so Rep's need to vote for the
guy they actually want to win their party's primary.

Yes and no.  We can vote for any candidate for any party, but only votes from
party members count towards the delegates.  Anyone who wants to have their vote
for McCain (or Bush) actually mean something had better register as a
Republican.

Bruce
(sometimes Democrat, Green, Libertarian, Mugwump, Free Silver, Bullmoose, and
Whig, but never Nazi, Communist, or Republican) ;-)