 Off-Topic / Debate / 4276
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:23:32 GMT

Larry,

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Bill Farkas wrote:

All this talk about right-wing fringe groups, what about the far more radical
left-wing fringe groups: feminists, homosexuals, environmentalists, etc.
Environmentalists have carried out numerous acts of violence against HUMAN
BEINGS for the sake of TREES!

Just being a homosexual or an environmentalist makes you a left wing
fringe group??? Surely you didn't mean that. I'm an environmentalist, I
recycle, I give scads of cash to the Nature Conservancy, and I try to
buy green whenever it makes economic sense to do so. Please don't pigeon
hole me.

No, I think what Bill is saying is that there are many nuts, on both
sides, through a variety of causes, and the like. But there is a
significant bias towards the right wing religious groups, some
justified, most not. You do not see the press attack leftist nuts as
much as right ones. (I have seen it too much!)

OK, now you're making sense.

But I repeat, there are fringe groups on both sides.

Well, at least you seem to see that.

Dubya is pandering to the groups on the right a lot more than anyone
else is pandering to groups on either side. He's a twerp, and he's not
even as competent as his father, who'd I put in the bottom quartile of
presidents, he screwed up the Reagan revolution and lost the war in Iraq
from timidity. Moron.

Well, maybe, but I would rather have him president than Gore, Bradley,
etc. If it was a Mccain / Bush ticket or something, that would be fine
as well.

And to Scott, I can very well rail against the religious nutcases who
screw things up on a regular basis here in Ada just as easily as I can
rail against against the leftist nutcases who screw things up in metro
Detroit.

I never said you can or cannot, I know you do. Not everyone who is a
religious right person is bad, thank you very much.

Remember, it was religious zealots right here in Kent County Michigan
who hounded a man out of his job and ultimately to his death merely
because of his sexual preferences.

Yes, maybe some, but not all religious right people advocate that, like
me. I think it is stupid.

My issue with Alan Keyes is that he
ultimately thinks that certain behaviours are sinful and therefore need
to be legislated against. Morality of that sort (where what we are
talking about is consensual behaviour) is not the perogative of the
state to legislate.

Like what?

If Barry Goldwater were 30 years younger and alive today, I'd vote for
him in a second. THERE'S a republican worth supporting. Small
government, lassez faire economics, tolerant and not pandering to the
Moral Majority.

Well, Larry, you do seem to have a huge problem with the Religious
Right, and that is fine. I have my own problems with various people. But
I also realize that not all environmentalists are bad, I don't think I
am bad just because I am part of Religious Right. We have every right to
be in the political process as well. If you don't like it, fine.

I am getting tired of being stereotyped, being lumped in with fanatics
and criminals that killing people, etc. This group seems so perturbed by
the Religious Right it is disheartening and totally unfounded. I don't
speak for anyone in the Religious Right except for the people i know of,
and I dare any of you to run some stances on us, and I am sure we almost
qualify for Libertarian stances.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com