 Off-Topic / Debate / 4282
Re: Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:16:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William A. Swanberg wrote:

I would say the Republican primary race at this point is still up in the
air, *provided* that McCain can take California (and who can predict how
they'll vote???).

If I remember correctly, the California primaries are simultaneous -- every
candidate for every party is run on the same ballot.  So potential sabateours
(sp?) have to choose between knocking down the opposing party, and building • up
their own guy.  I think this will work to the advantage of McCain -- since • the
Democrat race is more clear-cut, the Demo's have more free-reign to crossover
and vote McCain.  The Republican race is closer, so Rep's need to vote for • the
guy they actually want to win their party's primary.

Yes and no.  We can vote for any candidate for any party, but only votes from
party members count towards the delegates.  Anyone who wants to have their • vote
for McCain (or Bush) actually mean something had better register as a
Republican.

   I've never registered under a party, btw--is that registration
   permanent (unless voluntarily changed), or does it have to be
   reinstated each election term? Or does that vary from state to state?
   (I know the method for assigning delegates varies; for example,
   McCain got all 30 from Arizona, but the overall win in MI only
   guaranteed the 10 at-large delegates to McCain--the others are
   done by district.  How does CA do it?)  Perhaps someone with
   more US-poli-sci savvy than I can explain it.

   Of course, I could be all wrong in my understanding of how the
   Republican Party handles the process.  One thing's for certain:
   It doesn't appear nearly as loaded for the "favourite son" the
   way the Democrats' process does.  That bodes well for McCain,
   so I'm happy about it.

Bruce
(sometimes Democrat, Green, Libertarian, Mugwump, Free Silver, Bullmoose, and
Whig, but never Nazi, Communist, or Republican) ;-)

   Bullmoose!  Trivia check:  Doesn't a current party run under the
   Bull Moose banner...?  Are there still technically "progressives?"
   I'm still trying to keep the various workers' parties straight...
   Free Silver, I haven't heard them brought up in ages.

   best

   Lindsay