 Off-Topic / Debate / 4262
4261  |  4263
Subject:
No Longer Quite So Quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:58:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

Hmm.. another reason to have a CLOSED Republican primary.

Like that's going to stop me. I'll just register republican. It's not
like you have to sign an oath or anything. I used to switch
registrations in NY all the time so I could vote in the D primary. I
still have my republican membership card around here somewhere, too...

That's interesting, Larry. Why do you that?

Because with a rigged ersatz 2 party system, it's sometimes the only
time I get to influence the decision. Influencing who the nominee is may
have a bigger impact than voting in the general. In NY especially, I
lived in heavily democratic areas. The demo primary was the real
election, the general was just for show.

I'm still convinced that Republicans were responsible for Fieger being the
Democratic candidate for Governor.  He was about the only person available who
polarized people more than Engler.

Had I been in Michigan, I would have gone to the Republican primary (still
being a registered MI voter, of course) and voted for McCain.  I'd actually
prefer him to Gore, even though I tend to vote Democratic (that is, when good
non D/R candidates are unavailable).  And, being from a family of educators,
it's always nice to see Pompous John get a black eye.  I saw his picture--for
the first time in two years--in the NYT the other day.  Is he really that
bloated now?  He's becoming Taftesque.

Ditto for here in West M except c/D/R/

Besides, I vote L in the general.

A part of me still wants to write in "Gregory Peck."  But if McCain is the
Republican nominee, I may vote Republican for President for the first time in
my life.  If dubya is the nominee, there's no way in Hell, MI (or Howell,
MI--that seems to be more his style) that I'll vote for him.

(Note that Bradley's candidacy isn't even an issue here--were there a real
chance that he could win the Dem nomination, I'd be there instead, and not
just because I live in NJ now.)

If Engler had any sense he'd get behind a candidate that can draw
crossover voters instead of one that panders to the foaming fanatics
like dubya does.

Man, Larry. And I thought the leftists on here were bad.

For a sec there I thought you were going to call me a liberal... A
charge I'd gladly embrace... me and TJ.

So you like dubya, huh??? What? You don't think dubya's a machine
candidate, a poltroon who was born with a spoon up his nose? Like I
said, Bob Jones and his crowd can bite me. Further...

By the way, is he a real Texan, or is he just an import from Connecticut?  I
think there's something fishy going on when two brothers are governors of two
completely different states that aren't even in the same part of the country.
They're not Mainers either.  They're sort of like anti-Kennedys--but at least
Teddy is a senator in his family's own home state.  (Don't get me started on
how many things are wrong with Hillary's Senate bid--the only thing she has
going for her is that she's not Rudy Giuliani, which is a major, major, major
plus.)

That whole flag thing disgusted me. dubya was pandering to the racists.
And you know my stance on the civil war, the south was perfectly
justified in seceding and John Brown was perfectly justified in arming
the slaves to kick some plantation owner butt... At this point that darn
flag is a symbol of racism, not state's rights.

Makes one wonder what would have happened had the Confederacy not opened
fire--it's hard to suppress a political rebellion based on a fundamental legal
issue if nobody's shooting.  Different .debate, though.  :)

I just want to see the machine brought down. McCain is not a machine
candidate.

Sounds like a good goal--the difference between the two continues to grow, and
George W. is augmenting his existing connections with other "machines"--in
particular, the Religious Right/Moral Majority machine, complete with Bauer
endorsement and Ralph Reed assistance.  That alone will turn swing voters
away, and ensure that normally apathetic liberal/Democratic (not always the
same!) voters might actually take an interest and *vote*.

best

Lindsay