 Off-Topic / Debate / 26666
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:56:16 GMT

   At this point I should restate my standard disclaimer that I see no reason to conclude that any moral absolutes can be known by humans with certainty.

Why would you be so reticent to conclude that the taking of an innocent human life for no reason or purpose, but for, say amusement, isn’t absolutely wrong and evil for everyone, not just you yourself?

Because if a person is doing it for amusement, then chances are that it’s not absolutely wrong for that person. The most broadly inclusive conclusion I can draw is to say that the taking of life is generally considered to be objectionable to the great majority of people. But even if I were to accept that it’s “absolutely wrong and evil” for all of those people, that still wouldn’t make it an actual, transcendent wrong—that’s the type of absolute I describe as unknowable-with-certainty.

   For me the problem is simply that I’m not comfortable with the uncertainty (of conviction).

Yes, but according to you, nothing is (or can be ascertained to be) certain, so where does that leave your objection?

Heh. Well, I admit that we can be pretty darned sure in some cases. See my response immediately below for an elaboration.

   With capital punishment in place, we seem to prefer erring in favor the possibility of guilt, while to me it would be morally superior to err in favor of the possibility of innocence.

I don’t understand looking at an issue through the lens of error possiblity. If this type of introspective scrutiny were applied to everything, nothing would ever get decided!

If we identify a kind of “threshhold of necessary certainty” relative to the severity of the issue in question, then we can probably decide a lot of things. But when an action is non-correctible, the stakes become markedly higher (near infinite, I suppose).

   And if the convicted person is incarcerated, the level of possible harm to society-at-large is about the same as if he’s been executed.

Yes, but where is the justice?

Without being intentionally glib, I’d have to suggest that justice is a social convention that is seldom in line with reality (well, with as much of “reality” as we can ascertain, of course).

   You are merely addressing the issue of protecting society from the killer. There is no justice in merely removing a criminal’s freedom. Did we not agree that life is more precious than freedom?

Sure, but because of that, we as a society can take away his freedom because freedom can be restored if later evidence exonerates the prisoner, but we can’t currently restore his life.

   But for clarity, I’ll state it explictly: in my view capital punishment is not justified if the intended recipient of that punishment can otherwise be rendered permanently unable to harm society-at-large.

So you do equate “life” with “freedom”.

I don’t think so, because I’m stating a preference for removing the murderer from society (ie., eliminating his freedom) rather than executing him (ie., eliminating his life). That is, I think I’m distinguishing between them and expressing a preference for the former.

   But if the murderer would be frozen in perpetuity, I don’t see that it’s tangibly different from capital punishment, so my objection remains.

But I thought your rub with capital punishment was the permanency of it-- if we merely freeze the murderer, the possibility still exists that in the unlikely event that new evidence comes to bear which exonerates him, he can be thawed and released, with no loss of longevity, no less.

I’m afraid that we’re veering into non-relevant hypotheticals here, if only because of the scope of what’s being proposed. If everyone convicted of a capital crime is frozen, is it reasonable to think that many of those cases will be reviewed with sufficient scrutiny to justify the overturning of those sentences? Additionally, this popsicle theory overlooks the trauma to the wrongly-frozen person’s family; if his case is reviewed and he’s thawed out sixty or eighty years down the road, then for all practical purposes he’ll have been executed.

   Also (and again without being flippant), it would seem to me that execution is not the ultimate penalty under Christian thinking.

Well, I don’t recognize any set “Christian thinking”. Obviously not, because Christians are all over the map on issues such as abortion or capital punishment.

Fair enough. But to be more specific, I meant that “damnation” (whatever that entails) is a seemingly more ultimate punishment than temporal incarceration or execution.

   The hope is that individuals raised morally by families will be less likely to be influenced towards evil through group dynamics. That’s my strategy for my children, at least....

So you say, but you’ve steered poor Ross toward the evils of 8-wide…

   I think that the morally superior course is to value life rather than execute people (even those who are grossly out of step with society). It strikes me as logically inconsistent to value life by terminating life.

Yes, I agree that, at first glance, it sounds logically inconsistent. But where is the unlogical in this: if one values life above all else, then the penalty for taking life should reflect the degree of intolerance. So, if you hold that life is the most precious thing, and murder is the ultimate crime, only the most precious thing can be paid to satisfy murder’s debt.

But this doesn’t get me anywhere, alas. I don’t understand how killing one person will satisfy the debt of another person’s death. Also, what happens if the survivor’s family forgives the murderer? Doesn’t that negate the debt? Does he then get to go free?

Dave!