 Off-Topic / Debate / 26653
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:49:48 GMT

<snip>

   That’s an interesting argument. For me, the problem arises when we try to grant one person the authority to kill another. A state-sanctioned execution, once the prisoner has already been rendered harmless, seems to me no different morally from a deliberate and willful murder.

Surely you’d agree that the victims differ from the two cases of loss of life-- one “victim” is a murderer, and the other is an innocent. Therein lies all the difference in my view.

   Two key elements of first-degree murder are premeditation and malice aforethought; due-process executions are certainly premeditiated,

You could say it that way, but so what? The focus should be on the victims of first-degree murder and due-process executions. That is where I believe your analogy breaks down.

   and if they’re permitted as a form of societal retribution, then they also entail malice aforethought.

I don’t believe capital punishment is malicious; in fact, one could argue that allowing a murderer to live is malicious to the surviving family of the innocent victim.

<various snippaging>

   Since the SC handed down this decision, I’ve heard a whole bunch of voices raised in outrage about “activist judges out of touch with the mainstream.

Scalia, predictably, is all a-froth about the involvement of international conventions in matters of US law (page 79). He’s also upset that the SC has acted in the absence of a national consensus (page 65 and following).

Scalia’s second objection is baseless. The role of the Supreme Court is not, despite Scalia, to act as a weathervane indicating the tides of national sentiment. Instead, the Supreme Court is charged with interpreting law, and that what has occurred here.

Hmmm. I seem to remember last year (?) the Supremes taking a look at the constitutionality of executing the mentally retarded and using a change in social outlook as justification. Forgive me if I don’t dig into this topic too much:-)

   Okay. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. But here’s my question: how do Christians reconcile this apparent hunger for capital punishment with the biblical call for mercy? I don’t recall which section of the Beattitudes demanded that seventeen-year-olds be executed, but I haven’t read them in a while. Isn’t it sufficient to incarcerate the murderer until God takes him, thereafter to be judged by The Judge?

I’m not asking this flippantly, and in this context I won’t rebut intra-Christian beliefs with secular viewpoints. I just don’t understand how the desire for capital punishment can be consistent with Christian grace.

Also, I’m not mocking Christians as a whole--I’m just holding up two professors-of-the-faith as examples of a viewpoint I’ve heard from numerous Christians in my life.

Thanks to any and all for their insights.

Yeah, it’s a valid question, because Christians are on both sides of this issue. The problem in my mind is applying personal ethics (turn the other cheek, for example) to those on a societal level. Society simply cannot simply “forgive” criminals for their behavior, or soon there would be no order, and I don’t think it was ever Jesus’ intention to advocate that. Personally, I do not think that forcing criminals to pay the consequences for their crimes is unchristian. So I don’t believe that the teachings of Jesus (as in the Beatitudes) can be made to apply to a society, but only to individuals. The society would subsequently be transformed by persons who adopted Jesus’ teachings. Does that make sense or come off as a dodge?

JOHN