 Off-Topic / Debate / 26643
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:23:07 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

You mentioned the issue of resources.  I don’t have the figures in front of me,
but the cost of supporting a criminal for a full life-sentence is considerably
less than the cost of prosecuting that same criminal through the entirety of his
appeals process.  This would also have the advantage of allowing for corrective
action if the criminal is later found to be innocent.

Either one, however, is obscenely expensive.  And getting moreso.  Meanwhile, the
penal system gains more and more power in voting blocs, etc.  And lawmakers make
more things felonies that shouldn't be.

You know, if a chunk of my taxes weren't going to house felons, I'd be less upset
about it.  But I bust my #$@ to pay my housing, food, and clothing costs, it cheeses
me that I'm paying theirs too.

How about we start working felons 8-16 hours/day to actually pay their costs?  If
found innocent later, they can sue for the backwages.  If I have to work for my
housing, make them work for their, even if it is forced.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/